The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Mindliss Metalfab

Re: 4 link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I'm no engineer but cutting the holes and stuffing the multiple pipes through is a 'look' thing and I KNOW it takes away from the strength of the 2x3 tubing
I suppose its a good thing I am then eh?

Anyways there are a few reasons for using all the holes/tubing in the parts aside from looks. The backhalf is not constructed from 2x3 or 2x4 tube, its actually laser cut 1/4" plate that has been boxed and welded. The tubes help to align the inner and out panels. because you are connecting the side profiles, there is less chance for the frame to distort when welding all the edges solid.

As for the holes making it weaker, well the tubes are all fully welded, its not just holes cut through plate. Also the weight of the truck is supported at the air bags which are very close to the cab. So the majority of the backhalf will only be supporting the fuel cell and box weight.

The pivot points are quite rigid when everything is bolted together. The gussets are 3/8 thick.

I don't foresee any issues with the lower links buckling from the weight of the truck. They are reinforced internally so they are essentially 3/8" thick.

The suspension actually performs very well. Looking at it everyone assumes it would need a tremendous amount of pressure. Truthfully the watts link maxes out at about 10" of travel and only about 70 psi is needed to max it out (with no box). Its definitely not designed for towing or anything like that but this truck is being built as a weekend driver/show truck and with the custom valved bilstein 7100s going in the back it should ride quite nice.

I have a few more pics on my site and will start updating again soon once i start on the shock install.
http://www.mindlissmetal.com/gallery/current-projects/

Last edited by Mindliss Metalfab; 12-18-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Mindliss Metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
ripdog28

Simple mechanics like us can tell you that those air bags have a ton of pressure on them. Ever use a sea saw? well the long end increases the weight so the bed and battery put more pressure on the pivot then they you may think.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindliss Metalfab View Post
I suppose its a good thing I am then eh? ........
Joel I think we are of simply two different mindsets, and I surely didn't intend to offend. I (and Super73) are both thinking of throwing 500, 600 or 800 HP at the chassis, moving a 3500+ pound tub of bricks forward, drive straight and not wheelstand too bad. As you said, it isn't designed for that and was wrong of me to assume anything different. My son is into the "bagged, drop it in the weeds every time you stop" look with his S-10 and I can see he is going to be plenty oggle-eyed with the creation.

Like I said, no offense intended, I was just looking at things from the wrong perspective.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote