The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
el_gureo

cutting dash Lens

I'm looking to install a PSI gauge in my dash in the empty dash pod and was wandering the best way of cutting a hole in the dash lens. Of course I don't want to crack or break the lens. what method to use?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: cutting dash Lens

Dremel with a cut off wheel..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
suville

If you are wanting to cut a round hole I would suggest a hole saw in a drill press you could also just use a hand drill but it will be a bit more challenging. Place the lens on a piece of wood and secure it with blocks of wood around the edges securing the blocks with screws and use as slow a speed as you can and go slow the plastic will get hot and instead of cutting it will melt make sure you cover the lens with wide masking tape to keep from scratching it up.BTW you have disassembled the gauge cluster I would assume dont know how you could do it any other way.
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
DZL1
One day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suville View Post
If you are wanting to cut a round hole I would suggest a hole saw in a drill press you could also just use a hand drill but it will be a bit more challenging. Place the lens on a piece of wood and secure it with blocks of wood around the edges securing the blocks with screws and use as slow a speed as you can and go slow the plastic will get hot and instead of cutting it will melt make sure you cover the lens with wide masking tape to keep from scratching it up.BTW you have disassembled the gauge cluster I would assume dont know how you could do it any other way.
I agree with Suville except for one thing. If youre gonna use a drill and a hole saw, put the drill in REVERSE, that way the teeth of the hole saw wont bite down and kick the drill and possibly damaging your lens. Once the hole saw starts melting the lens you can then switch to forward. I would use a drill with variable speed so that way you can start of slow and work your way up to full speed. I speak from experience. Hope this helps.

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Can't you just wipe off the markings on the Dash lens with some type of cleaner without causeing it to haze or damaging the plastic lens, another thought would be polishing the markings away and put PSI gauge in from the back?
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Hatdcorechevynut67

Just an added note to what dzl1 suggested. In order to protect your lens, tape it up using removable masking tape blue or green works well. It won't protect if your bit walks on you but it will keep minor scuffs and scratches down. Just a note: if you want to try and buff it out if the scratches aren't too bad. The plastic headlight restore kit works well on that kind of plastic. Good luck A.J.
Hatdcorechevynut67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
mbgmike

I've cut a lot of plastic in my life up to 2" thick down to 1/16". (LExan and Plexiglass) Like stated use a drill press and lay it flat. If you have some double sticky tape, Tape it to a flat piece of wood. I would use a Fly cutter but they kind of scare some people. That way you can get the exact diameter you need. The fly cutter is adjustable. Go slow on speed and feed. The cutter will cut the plastic not melt it and you have a nice clean sharp edge with no flashing. You use the cutter with the flat towards the direction you cut if not familiar with it. You will know when its right. No need to clamp it down (unless you want to) just lay one hand on the board and use the other to lower the cutter. carefully pull up plastic from wood.

Just for info they do make plastic drill bits. much steeper angle then a twist drill. Not in that diameter however.

Last edited by mbgmike; 01-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote