The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
cedorris
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super

To Frame Off or Not To Frame Off?

So, as some of you fellas have seen... my green beast is down to the rolling chassis and drive train.

Now I'm at a crossroads....

My original plan was to clean it up at this point. Clean the frame and engine. Dress up the engine a bit (paint brackets, valve covers, etc) and coat the frame. Then put it back together.

However this thing is coated with years of gunk. It lived outside for 38 years and never had a bath.

So, I'm tempted to pull the drive train and tear it down the rest of the way. Have the frame sand blasted and coated.

The sticking points:
-We are hoping to buy a home this year putting time and money against me.
-I have limited space.
-I've never done something like this.
-I have no way to pull or store an engine.

So how much time, effort, and money am I looking out going this route?

Which is the most practical route in my given situation?

Thank fellas!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: To Frame Off or Not To Frame Off?

Id clean it up as much as it is pressure wash engine degreaseer do your suspension now depending on tools/budget por 15 or rattle can it do prep work right get it back togetehr asap and when ya get settled in your house and have time and money do it frame off, now im not saying half a$$ it do it right but dont have to pull everything...jmop

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Jebb1978

Having taken my 59 down to the frame and it is still in peices 2 years later due to simular limiting factors in my life, I would advise you to put it back together and enjoy it. I actually picked up the 67 to fill the void of my truck being off the road. This is just my opinion, good luck either way. I dumped more that $2500 in my frame, suspension and cleaning up the drive train, hadn't planned on it costing so much but it kinda snowballs.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
cedorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978 View Post
....hadn't planned on it costing so much but it kinda snowballs.
I hear that....
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
OARNGESI

Since its all apart allready get the frame and under the cab perfect put it back together and tackle the rest in sections as money and time permits if your planing on moving soon youll most likely lose small items during the move wich will add unneeded expenses
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedorris View Post
I hear that....
You better stop or next thing you know you'll be tearing the suspension apart and getting the engine rebuilt. The key to doing a project is have a plan and stick to it, otherwise it never gets done and costs four times what you expected.

Also, if you get it too nice you won't want to use it.

Having said that, I bet the OKC crew could round up an engine hoist if that's what you really want to do. Compared to pulling a cab, the engine and trans will be a breeze.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
cedorris

It seems the majority believe it's best to stick with my original plan.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Larry S

I was in the same situation with mine in 1996. I decided to pull the engine and do it the right way. Well, 2 wives and 2 kids later, I still dont have it back togather, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ive dont alot more than I ever figured on. the thing is you need to have a good place to work on it, and time.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
katyjevoich76

when you do the frame off restor you might want a driver so you dont get impatient
katyjevoich76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
yote1234

if you have deep pockets go all the way! nows the time for a complete restoration as a lot of the "nos " parts are evaporating. and i forsee in the close future that these parts will dry up leaving only "made in china" parts for youe restoration. just my .02
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Wow does this sound familar... I was going to do the same thing but got caught up on this site with so many nice trucks I ended up pulling the cab off and went full bore. My "6 month project" is over a year now and most likely at least another 6 months or more.

If you want a driver anytime soon, don't take the cab off and clean up what you can...
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Arizona oldguy

OK, here is the other side, I building a 67 short bed by way of a 72 frame. I like to work but do not like to be over worked or frustrated, but I always knew that no matter what I did to this truck I would always look at the frame and simply wonder why I did not take on down and re-coat the frame.
Long story short I did it, but I have my own compressor, sand blaster and the room, and like many it is taking me much longer to get it back together, it is in my shop now all of the suspension is done, engine and trans are sitting in it. It is hard and long but I will appreciate it all when I am done. I hope this helps you make your decision, it is not for everyone. Good luck no matter what you choose
Arizona oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
bignbad

what i am going to do to my '72 k20 is take the bed off sandblast form the cab back prime paint replace the brake lines.I'll have new susp. on it b/c i am putting a 6" lift kit on it.I should be able to do that in a weeked.I can sill drive it with no bed on her to work and back.The pull the engine,tranny and t-case out of her take the frt end off lift the cab off the frame and the sand blast it and work like heck getting her back together.I shoud be albe to do that in a month.I can walk to work if i had to.The get the body in order and prep prime and paint.But that like in the spring or summer.Its to cold out(no heat in the garage).Plus i got alot of hunny do projects going on now. I'm hopping my buddy buys the old body shop in town.Then my idea might change and in might get a whole new face lift.B/c i'll have alot more room then my 1 truck over size garage
http://www.enginecycle.com/

~Eric
bignbad is offline   Reply With Quote