The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Copytron

ripping out my rocker

So i just tore into my first repair on the new truck... on any truck. Here are some pics in case you see something i need to change/fix. I am wondering if i need to add some metal to the floor section right where the rocker meets it. Just where it curves down then back out towards the door. I'm sure i do cause there is nothing to weld to. Until i get the whole rocker and backing plate out i cant visualize how much i will need to add, and how far to the front the rust goes. So this post will probably take a while to unfold because i can only work on it a couple of hours a day for a while. Oh and yes that is spray foam.
j.
Attached Images

Copytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
BarryB

Re: ripping out my rocker

Yeap you definitely need to replace the section of floorboard. I believe they make just that section for this repair.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

I have the same areas to repair, I've been eyeing a $220 set from Ecklers http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html and http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html and http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html

haven't bought them yet, I was going to post about them soon to see if anyone had any thoughts... seems like a good deal to me.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey Guys,

Ahhh yes....it's time to change out those rusty rockers

Why not talk to some of our Board Vendors....they may be able to help you out with better pricing...and for sure better customer service!!!....Click on the link in my signature, or check out the vendor marketplace over in the parts board....

Good luck!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
67vetteal

I just completed the same job on my 72 Chev.. I sectioned the floor boards and cut the spot welds on the Rockers. The total install was done with Body Epoxy. I can MIG weld but the Epoxy made for a very clean tight install. Not to mention the overall convenience. Al W.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
jay6891
Car Knocker

Been there, still got one more side to do. Here is how far I had to cut mine. I agree, use the board Venders.
Attached Images

68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.

Last edited by jay6891; 02-19-2010 at 01:21 PM.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip59 View Post
I have the same areas to repair, I've been eyeing a $220 set from Ecklers http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html and http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html and http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1967-1972.html

haven't bought them yet, I was going to post about them soon to see if anyone had any thoughts... seems like a good deal to me.

Trip

Not a bad price but its still $50.00 higher than our prices
We are $172.00 plus shipping
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

check my build ..look for the crappy pics

I did the same repair that mike is tackling I also did cab supports..all I can say is if your goig to open it up that much be sure to secure the cab from front to back so your door opening doesn't get wider..also support it from falling try to do all your work with out moving it around ( or at least get the flor section back in) the floor pan I bought came in 2 pieces one for under you feet that goes all the way to the tunnel and one that started about 2 or 3" under the seat...these 2 panels will make the inner rocker then add the rocker and you should be buttoned up tight....all I can is say trim fit trim fit trim fit

Not a bad prject but plan on 1 full day and part of another..also yur going to need a tube of seam sealer once your done

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Not a bad price but its still $50.00 higher than our prices
We are $172.00 plus shipping
Was just a source a friend told me about... the prices were better than some other's I'd seen, but I'd absolutely rather support board vendors and members. You'll probably be getting an order from me Mike, once I get caught up on all the other things I'm doing to it with parts I bought here

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

my 67 had a rust spot right in the floor area next to the rocker , my inner rocker's were perfect and passenger side did not have anything just the one spot in this pic , I made a patch and welded it in on mine , but I would buy those pre made floor patch's if I were you it will make a better job ,,,

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

be sure to get then inner rocker panel too it give support to the outer rocker skin , mine had surface rust all over it I cleaned mine with a wire brush and painted them ,,,,

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm not lookin' forward to doin' mine. But it needs to be done in my '72. Rust is one of those projects/repairs that can appear to be "easy" until you start cuttin'. Then it can be a can o' worms. Always more than you bargained for.

Rust never sleeps...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Mt Man Chad

Suddenly I feel very fortunate to have purchase trucks with no rust.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
bikertim

Not really that hard -- just take your time and get all the rust out. I had rust on the rear and front door pillars, inner and outer rockers, cab corners -- and rear cab supports! Not to include the rusted out area around the windshield! Bought patch panels, fabriacted some of my own patch panels, and cut and welded in new as requiired.

Probably would have been easier to find a better cab (I live in AZ) but i've had the truck 21 years -- son came home from the hospital when he was a baby (13 years ago) -- etc. Lots of good years in there too and it wouldn't be the same with a different cab.

Also, by the time I was finished with this I had improved my fabrication skills and everything else i am doing now (filling gas door hole, capping off stepside bed ends and stake pockets) seems so much more fun and easy!!!
bikertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I agree at what point is it not the same truck...I think the cab is its sole...you can give it a new heart a new set of sneakers or even a new outfit but the cab is what makes it what it is...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Copytron

well both front and rear cab supports are gone. and i have the replacements for those. also i have the replacements for the inner and outer rocker panels. the front piller looks ok but the rear one is not there. everything was held together by spray foam. can i replace it without replacing the cab corner? cause it is still good.

Last edited by Copytron; 02-21-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Copytron is offline   Reply With Quote