The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Ironangel

12 Bolt Posi, Help!

Im installing a used 12 bolt posi on my 72 Chevy. I want to replace the seals and my Clymer,s kinda vague on axle removal for the posi, in fact it doesnt even designate the term "positrack",it calls them "limited slip". Are they the same thing? Im posting a pic of this thing because I dont know what to do with the "springed unit" in the ring housing? Do I compress it and remove it before going for the C-locks? Thanks for the help you guys!
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 03-17-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: 12 Bolt Posi, Help!

Michael:

Limited slip and Positraction center sections are the same thing. The "springed unit" in your picture is the center section, and it's removal and replacement procedure is exactly the same as a non-limited slip or "open carrier center section in your Clymers. Be sure to pay close attention to the spacers between the axle bearings and the center section on each side as they determine the engagement depth of the pinion gear with the ring gear and must be replaced in the same order as they were in.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Michael:

Limited slip and Positraction center sections are the same thing. The "springed unit" in your picture is the center section, and it's removal and replacement procedure is exactly the same as a non-limited slip or "open carrier" center section in your Clymers. Be sure to pay close attention to the spacers between the axle bearings and the center section on each side as they determine the engagement depth of the pinion gear with the ring gear and must be replaced in the same order as they were in.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Ironangel

Thanks for the reply Fitz, Im still a little lost on this. Guess Ill go the library and check out some "real" motor manuals. I dont want to break this thing apart without knowing the exact procedure. This Clymer manual covers 67 thru 87 and also covers 4 wheel drive and 3/4 ton models, too much non pertinent info and not enough for the beginner. Thanks man!
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
bhoeger70

There is a bolt holding the cross pin, (the shaft between the springs) remove that bolt pull the cross pin out then push the axles in (you most likely will need to remove the wheels and brake drums) remove the c-clpis and then pull the axles out. The reverse is the install. make sure you have the whole bolt for the cross pin, sometimes they do break off in there.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
junkman

pretty sure you don't have to mess with any of that, just take the crosspin out, push the axle in and remove the c-clip like usual.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

You don't need to take the springs apart or the carrier either for that matter....Just the retaining bolt and center pin, which allows the axles to push inward, after removing the drums of course. When the axle moves into the space where the center pin was, the C-clip that holds it in can be removed. A small stick-magnet helps a lot here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Ironangel

Ok Cool! Thats the info Im looking for Longhair and junkman! Thank you all for your help! Im in a small town library and they dont have squat here, lol. I have the axle layed across the frame with the drums off. I just wanted to replace the axle seals and the pinon seal before I install it. Thanks you guys! Im sure Ill have lots more questions as this resto/build continues.
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage