The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
flashed

Damaged Parts

Does anyone know how long it takes for UPS to admit they damaged a package and refund the money for a used part ?Should I just toss the piece and call it a loss as its only $50 ? It has been almost 3 months so I guess they are not going to refund any $.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Jim_PA

Re: Damaged Parts

Unless it has tire tracks across it, they will probably claim insufficient packaging. Just a guess.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
gmcdude

I had the same problem, they never will admitt to the damage. I was shipping a motorcycle seat they busted the box, not at a taped end but the cardboard area. And said it was packaged incorrectly. I would not have busted if it was not misshandled. I never use UPS when I have a option to use another. The Insurance was useless.
gmcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Unless it was double boxed which is standard UPS policy because they know no-one does it, you are probably (IMO definitely) not going to get your money from them.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Same problem here... I bought an ECE sway bar from a board member, when I got it, the box was tore open and all of the brackets, bolts and bushings were gone. UPS claimed insufficient packaging and the damn thing was even insured.

I called them regularly for several months. I never got a penny.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
70cst

Same experience with DHL. Insurance is a waste of time in many transactions.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
leddzepp

Fed Ex doesn't even offer insurance (only a "declared value" which is not insurance) and I have heard that they will pay out claims with almost no hassle Fed Ex told me if I wanted actual insurance, I should go with UPS. Judging from this it doesn't seem to even matter.

I guess it all depends on who you talk to on the phone that day and who handles your claim.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 03-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Bought a gauge cluster & dash off a board member, he packaged it great and insured it, USPS fkd it up for me, smashed the choke hole corner and tore the box, losing some parts.

Filled out the paperwork, they wanted to keep the whole thing for an undetermined amount of time... they'd give me the value if it was determined their fault, else I could pick it up.

Well, even broken, was worth what I paid for it, so I told them what they could do with their insurance and took it home.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
Jeffs70

some people do not know this but you can also send out packages through Gray Hound to the destination you need it to go to. the only down fall is the person that its going to will need to pick it up at the nearest bus station. they usually have a great setup cause not many packages are shipped through them.

I also have to say the only way I Have had any luck getting money back through UPS or DHL is if your right there when they drop the package off and you refuse it unless the driver checks the package out with you and he/she leaves a damaged package slip. USPS is the worst service of all to ever send anything through and I have to say I Have had nothing but outstanding service through FedEx.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
flashed

Its a shame in a bad economy that companys dont care about their customers any more than they do.As bad of service as Ive gotten I am going to have to be very selective as to what I will be willing to buy used . I just cant afford to buy items twice because the shipping companys dont care.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
gmcdude

Yesterday I recived another package that was packed by the company and I'm charged for oversized box and they still busted the end, the bumper did come out I think, but I'm unpacking it tomorrow to make sure the chrome is not damaged.
gmcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Security guy

I don't understand why the big companies can't pay to replace a $50 item. I'm guessing their profits are in the million dollar range. What if joe schmoe needed that $50? To me $50 is alot of money, but to them its pennies. If its damaged, its damaged. Replace its value and be done with it.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Have you ever had the pleasure of touring a UPS sort facility? I have.....and I am very surprised anything makes it out in one piece....
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
Have you ever had the pleasure of touring a UPS sort facility? I have.....and I am very surprised anything makes it out in one piece....
My neighbor and another friend both worked at them, my neighbor was actually in loss prevention and did little beside walking around watching people. A miracle indeed...

The petty officer in charge of mail at a command I was at one time got busted hard for playing football with a package... XO saw him chuck it, didn't say anything until later that day it was in the XO's mailbox...

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
Fitz
Account Suspended

Fall back to the seller/shipper if you have a claim. I had a Holley 850 CFM carb arrive with a large hole straight through the side of the box. I told the UPS driver I would have to inspect it for damages before signing for it. When the box was opened one of the float bowls was fractured into two pieces and I told the driver UPS was now the proud owner of a busted $700.00 carb and refused the delivery.

After a call to Scoggin-Dickey they shipped a new one and recovered the damages from Round Brown. The shipper has them by the A$$ 'cause they ship VOLUME, you get it in the A$$ 'cause all you do is accept delivery. No leverage.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
mbgmike

We have gotten refunded by Fedex in as little as two weeks. Maybe a little longer with UPS. I have found them to be fairly resonable. Not always. I try not to use UPS as much as possible but we still do some times
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
mr48chev

I would think that every major outfit that ships with UPS has someone who's job it is to file claims with UPS.
My daughter works in the call center for a major membership box store chain and a big part of her job is dealing with customers with damage caused by UPS. Think having a 50 inch flat screen show up with a foot print in the big middle of the package. I'm not sure how she does it outside of calling the right person but she gets results out of them.
The worse problem I had with them when I was receiving up to 30 packages a day through them was a lost wooden crate that they tracked to a warehouse in the Midwest before it disappeared of the face of the earth but the thing is probably still being used as a step in some UPS warehouse.
If it's an item that you bought from a company I'd be calling that company and get them to raise havoc from that end as that seems to get better results.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-23-2010 at 06:32 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
big mike71

I bought a tonneau cover from craftec, my UPS driver just left it out in the rain on the side of my porch.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
flashed

This part that got damaged was a used part from a member here .It was not his fault it got damaged ,just no care from shipper (UPS) . I just need to be more careful about which parts to buy used .I prefer to buy good used parts that fit rather than repops that sometimes dont.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
lt704

I work for the post office. I ship through the post office, the " if it fits-it ships program' is awesome. With that being said i would never buy the shipping insurance. To recieve a payment on insurance claim is a tak in itself, now with the distaught financial condition of the post office it's almost impossible to recieve payment for an insurance claim. I just take my chances.
lt704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #21
tim21391

we had to deal with them a few times at the body shop i worked with.. we were suppose to get a hood in for a wrecked truck and we wouldnt sign for it since we were not happy with the damaged hood.. so it took them three more trys with different hoods til we could live with small dings since it was an insurance claim..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My instance was back in 06? or so, so the economy was still rollin'.

That was the only issue I've ever had with damaged items. I also ordered a set of key fobs sent USPS for my Z71 (lost my damn keys) and the USPS lost them. The seller sent me a new set, so I don't know how that one worked out.

I do have to say, for the crazy amount of items I've had shipped, games, CD's, clothes, gifts, lots of electronics stuff, an insane amount of truck parts, and a whole bunch of random crap... those are the only issues I've ever had. So, I guess, you have to unfortunately "take one" every once in a while.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
Rich916

I worked at UPS as a Operations Supervisor, The Hub I worked at processed (on average) about 35,000 packages an hour. Some “damages” at that volume are pretty much unavoidable.
If you receive packages from UPS your location is zoned DR (driver release, left at door step) or signature.
If your package was delivered DR don’t go “Christmas morning crazy” opening it up. If you have a damaged part notify the shipper not UPS. Call the shippers customer service, don’t email, Let them know about the damage and they should email you a return label. Print the label and return the package in the original box. Make sure you return everything! Delivery companies are much more inclined to work with the shipper, they ship thousands of packages, you don’t.
If you don’t ship that often, I would recommend that you take the part to a shipping facility and let them package it.
If you receive a package that requires a signature then quickly look for “red flags”. If the box is broken, crushed, rattles or makes some sort of metallic sounds, it’s obviously damaged, don’t open it and don’t accept it. If you have multiple packages and you want to closely inspect everything, let the driver know, and open in his presents.

Hope this helps
Rich916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
steelhorse

I bought some stepside fenders from a board member a while back and he shipped them Greyhound.They never showed up and Greyhound said they had no idea what happened to them.It still took them over a year to pay back the money.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
MCSO5164

Bought some sunglasses from Oakley who shipped them via Fedex. I followed the tracking and they were supposedly delivered on time. I went to the inlaws to pick up the package and they said they never received the package. Called fedex who spoke with the driver who swears he delivered them to the house. He knows for sure he did because he delivers packages to their house all the time. I called Oakley and started a claim when several days later fedex miraculously found the package and delivered it. So, the driver was full of @#%$!!!!!!! Terry

Last edited by MCSO5164; 03-24-2010 at 01:46 PM.
MCSO5164 is offline   Reply With Quote