The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Question Removing the cab...???

Any suggestions? I already have the body mounts removed and plan on removing the interior later. For now, I just want it out of the way because the frame is going to be powder-coated.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Also, how should I go about lifting it off the frame? I'm guessing a few guys' should be able to do so...???
Old 05-12-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
BigRed

Make sure you disconnect all the wiring, ground straps, fenders, etc.

When I lifted my cab off, I used an engine hoist. I bought a couple of 2x8s and stuck them through the cab on top of the engine hoist arm. I would have at least one other guy help you to make sure things are balanced and so you can guide the cab out easier. However, it can be done with just one person. I do have some pics of the cab off the frame, but none when we had the hoist and support boards through the cab. --> http://www.shelbournes.net/trucksite/cab_swap4.htm

Or, another way of doing it is getting 3 moderately strong freinds and each of you grab a corner and lift. However, I'd take the seat out to reduce some of the weight. We lifted my cab off the trailer onto my dolly with just four of us and it was pretty easy. It was fully loaded down with the seat and everything. However, when you're lifting it off of the truck, you have more obstacles so that's why I was saying you may need to reduce the weight a little.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
BigRed

PS.

Try to put the boards and hoist as far up to the front of the cab as you can because it is definitely front heavy.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Thanks for the detailed reply. This will help me out greatly.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

When I removed my cab I had it completly gutted...glass, doors, seat...EVERYTHING. The lighter the better. It took three of us, and it was a pain stepping over the chassis and what not. One thng you can do to make it easier is lift it and then push the chassis out from under it (if it is rolling)...that way you can avoid possible scraped, smashed limbs, etc...

One more thing...the front of the cab is the heaviest and causes it to be ackward to lift...sort of like a big TV. Use more man-power up there....the back is a one person job easily.

Dont forget to unhook brake lines and steering...they can easily be overlooked, oh, and drain the brake booster to avoid any mess.

Hope this helps just a little more.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

That's what I was just going to suggest, lift the cab and roll the frame out from under it...
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
BigRed

I had somebody else tell me to use a backhoe and lift it up. Yeah, like we all have backhoes laying around!!!

The hardest part is defnitely getting it off of the frame around all the obstacles. We did have to remove a couple things and clear some obstacles as we were going. As long as you take it slow, you should have no problems.