The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
amcgeh01

Seatbelt options for Jimmy's and Blazer's..?

Hi all,

I was really hoping to use the 3-point retractable seatbelts in my Jimmy 4x4 but realized there is no attachment point high enough to drop down over my shoulder like in a car or truck. Unfortunately, I do not have a rollbar so I am wondering what some of you may have come up with to resolve this critical issue... BTW, I was lucky enough to score some great Corbeau seats (CR1's) http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/cr1/ from a guy for $225.00 in perfect shape.. So if anyone you have those as well and came up with something that might slide through to the two holes at the top of the seat, then let me know or better yet, provide some pics of the setup.. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
budder71

Re: Seatbelt options for Jimmy's and Blazer's..?

I have a 71 Jimmy with a double wall top and there are plates/holes for shoulder belts
in mine from the factory...........
budder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
jimmypop

I put the third point in top of the rear wheel wells. Works good for me. Ill post a pic when i get a chance.
jimmypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

I just use the stockers and don't worry about it. Shucks I've been driving old cars with just lap belts for 30+ years, don't see a reason to change now

With a removable top, it would be a nuisance unless you attached it to a roll bar like you mentioned.

I'm not sure if I have a double wall or single wall top, but I don't see any attachments for shoulder belts, nor have I ever seen any on a first gen blazer.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
EODblake

I see that you already purchased some seats, but one option I've seen and thought about are the seats from a wrecked '03-'06 tahoe. The 3 point belts are integrated into the seat.
EODblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop View Post
I put the third point in top of the rear wheel wells. Works good for me. Ill post a pic when i get a chance.
What do you do about people getting in the back??

Since ours is a daily ride and I haul the family with it, we are constantly getting in and out of the back. After driving cars for 30 years with just lap belts,,,,,tripping over shoulder belts would be a new concept
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODblake View Post
I see that you already purchased some seats, but one option I've seen and thought about are the seats from a wrecked '03-'06 tahoe. The 3 point belts are integrated into the seat.
Wouldn't you have a very high back bucket then?? Looks kinda funny when the tops off wouldn't it???
Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by budder71 View Post
I have a 71 Jimmy with a double wall top and there are plates/holes for shoulder belts
in mine from the factory...........
** Hmm, I will have to check mine as I never noticed anything like that before.. it's about 40 miles from me so I will check it in a few weeks..

Quote:
** Yes, pics would be helpful as I can't imagine how that would look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODblake View Post
** Yes, I thought about those as well but everyone locally was asking over $600.00 and I just did not have it.. Besides they look kinda funky and don't really go with the trucks flow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I just use the stockers and don't worry about it. Shucks I've been driving old cars with just lap belts for 30+ years, don't see a reason to change now

With a removable top, it would be a nuisance unless you attached it to a roll bar like you mentioned.

I'm not sure if I have a double wall or single wall top, but I don't see any attachments for shoulder belts, nor have I ever seen any on a first gen blazer.
** Yes, in newer cars you could probably get by in an accident with just lapbelts but the older vehicles do not contain airbags in the wheel so unless you are looking for a massive makeover (not for the good) I just can't condone them. My friends girlfriend was driving his truck and hit something and had to have a full jaw and facial restoration and lost most of her front teeth on the impact of the steering wheel... It's tough to have to live with that responsibility when it happens to a loved one.. It's not my driving I am worried about, it's others and the drunks that should not be on the road..

I think I will work on the rollbar aspect and see what I can find locally, they are very few and far between...

Last edited by amcgeh01; 03-26-2010 at 01:28 PM.
amcgeh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgeh01 View Post
** Yes, in newer cars you could probably get by in an accident with just lapbelts but the older vehicles do not contain airbags in the wheel so unless you are looking for a massive makeover (not for the good) I just can't condone them.
I meant no shoulder belts in older cars. That's pretty much all I've driven and all I currently drive. The 2 cars we have (4th gen camaros) that came with air bags are all disconnected, never cared for that stuff. Wifey doesn't like them either, so out they came.
All I care to use are lap belts. I don't worry about what I can't control. If it happens it happens.
I even own a couple cars (pre 68) that never came with any belts (at all) At that point it was still an option on cars.

Guess I'm living on the edge
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
blazin

i put 2006 leather chevy seats in my blazer. bought the seats for 200 canadian.. not powered , but who cares.
blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
i put 2006 leather chevy seats in my blazer. bought the seats for 200 canadian.. not powered , but who cares.
Did you mount them on the original seat rails or use the ones that came with the 2006 set..? Do you have any pics..?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Burt4x4

Did you mount your Corbeau seats yet?

I'm thinking of buy a set for my 72, I want the Baja RS seat
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
jimmypop

Quote:
works for me
Attached Images

jimmypop is offline   Reply With Quote