The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #26
mclairmo

Re: Honestly, what would you do?

Check out some local car shows and ask the owners who built their engines. After a few times doing this, you'll start to hear the same names pop up and then you can go visit that engine builder and check him out. His shop should be clean, equipment in good shape, and he should understand that you want his attention and time to explain things to you. This is not just another motor to you, it's like your favorite body part (you pick which one) and if he's going to tinker with that body part you are entitled to a full explanation of what he's going to do, how he's gonna do it and how much it will cost you. If he does not want to bother taking the time necessary to explain things to you, then move on to another builder.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puyallup68C20 View Post
"If you are lucky enough to own an engine with a large journal steel crank I'll bet you anything you care to wager that you won't own one after that rebuild is done!"

That is what scares me the most about having someone rebuild my engine. I have been told by multiple people that my engine has one. I just don't know who to trust around my neck of the woods to do this rebuild for me. Any locals have any trustworthy suggestions?
This is when I am very thankful that I was trained in the Navy as a diesel and gasoline engine mechanic and worked at it for a few years. I know what to do and how to get a machine shop to line bore & deck a block, machine heads and in general look over their shoulder so it gets done right and I don't get robbed. Look around in a local car club, the local drag strip, the YMCA I don't care where for someone who you trust that has similar knowledge, get his or her help stepping you through the build. Some high schools run adult education classes where you may just find a way to do this yourself, but the advice you've gotten here is sound...to make lots of power takes lots more money. I've got $20,000 invested in engine, trans & diff and I'm not done yet. You could easily spend that much getting your truck on the street with a real screamer of a smallblock but if you have to hire out the work you will pay for it three times! It would be better to do a very conservative build on this engine and after you have spent some time in a club you have someone you can work with. Then, when you have learned a bit more and you have knowledgeable help...JUMP RIGHT IN!!!

Last edited by Fitz; 04-30-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #28
Fitz
Account Suspended

oops! duped it.

Last edited by Fitz; 04-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
pritch

I don't know how it is around there, but here running small blocks of all decriptions are listed in the want adds for next to nuthin'. I say get a motor that runs and stick it in while you decide what to do. No point taking a chance throwing a rod or something on a valuble engine.

But I'm partial to those 327's. I have one myself sitting on a stand in my shop. I don't know yet what it's going to go in. Maybe my short step someday.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote