The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
70cst

What Makes Your Vendor or Supplier of Truck Parts Special?

As I am close to having the Circuit Rider completed and I look at all the parts purchased and the expense in purchasing these parts to bring the “Circuit Rider” back to her former glory… I reflected as to why I bought 90% of my parts from WES at Classic Heartbeat. The remainder of parts purchased was split between Christians Classics (Tim) and GMCPauls (Paul). I have met Tim and Paul and they are both class acts while I have never met WES in person.
So why have I purchased my parts from the other side of the country verses some place a lot closer. Let the story begin...
I joined this site in 2001 as I was interested in the mid fifties Chevy trucks. But eventually I found myself spending time on the 67-72 message forum getting educated on these trucks and as it worked out I purchased a 1970CST mid summer of that year.
About six months after I became a member of this site my youngest son was killed in an auto accident which shook my world. It was through faith and friends that I came out a stronger person. But this site was amazing as I posted my tragedy and the out flowing of kind words given can never be given sufficient thanks.
But something happened at the viewing that I will never forget…As I went early and was looking at where all the flowers came from a pleasant surprise met my eyes…WES sent flowers on behalf of the 67-72 Truck Site, which really touched my heart. Neither WES or very few of those on this site knew much about me except that I was a family member of this internet site community. Our internet connection had just passed beyond the internet lines that day to become personal as you all said…we’re sorry.
I made a vow that day that if ever I would fix up my 70cst…WES was going to get my business regardless of the cost because I value friendship. Sometimes we forget that our Vendors are people like us and they have families that also require their time. You have heard my story so now it’s your turn to share what has made your Vendor or Supplier special. I think WES symbolizes many if not most of our Vendors/Suppliers who will go the extra mile to help us out. I know at times we dump on them but it’s good to hear the good things you have experienced with you suppliers. I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this post but it’s just something I wanted to write…Ok it s your turn to share.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 04-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: What Makes Your Vendor or Supplier of Truck Parts Special?

That is really cool that Wes did that! I've tried my best to purchase from board vendors (and members) exclusively, and have never been disappointed.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
72K20
Slow Old Timer

Board vendors are: Amazing, Knowledgeable, Communicative, Educated, Honest, ForthRight, Stand Up people who care about what they do and why they do it! From Stan to Wes to Paul to Jeff to Kenny and Tina (and all the others), you will NOT find a better group of people to do business with! Period, full stop!
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
don t. - 72gmc

70CST....I am very sorry for your loss. NO parent should have that experience.

I've yet to really start to fix up my 70 GMC, but when I needed parts I went to GMC Paul. There was a time when he did not have the part, and I was having problems w/the local GM dealer. Paul took the time to give me a GM part number knowing he would not make a dime. Whenever possible, I look at his site first when I need parts.

Have fun.....don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

My wife doesn't understand why I am the same way. I will pay more for familarity. If I meet someone say even at Autozone and they show an actual intrest in what I am doing and offer what advise they have even if it is little I will keep coming back.

Happened just the other day I was at an autozone I am not overly fond of just because of location but I started talking about my new project, turns out the guy just finished a very similiar build and was full of advise. So for now he is who I buy all my little stuff from instead of going other places closer to they house.

It is just the feeling that they give 2 craps that makes the difference. Kind of like all ways of life I guess we are drawn to people we believe actually care period. That is the thinking I use with all my customers you are more than just a number I care what happens to them.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Rat Bastid

i just found this WES character recently and the best part is he lives in my neck of the woods...ive never had the oppertunity to meet wes but it is on my things to do list.....from what i can tell wes is not only knowledgable but he loves these trucks like i love these trucks......my business will go to him from now on just cause of that reason
Rat Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I have met wes and talked with wes at great lengths on the phone he is a good guy and great friend.. I only purchase from wes when I need something but he has always done me right and has given me some of his vast knowledge....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I had a similar experience.

There is a parts vendor that I speak very highly of on here based on my past dealings with them. One day a few years ago, I come home from work and there was a UPS delivery on the front porch for me. It was from that vendor. Inside was a Christmas gift and a hand written note thanking me for all of the support I had shown them on this board over the years. The owner of that company (a very big company) had been reading what folks were saying over the years on this board about them.

I have never found out how he figured out exactly who I am though. He knew my screen name on here of course, but how he correlated that to my past orders to get my home address is a mystery to me.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Thats why this site is great, I bought most of my stuff from Tim. After meetin' and talkin' at the Auto Fair he's been a good friend since.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
70cst

These are good stories...If you can name your favorite Vendors do so as I am sure there are a lot more good stories about the Vendors on this site. Good stuff all!!

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
flashed

Can we name our least favorite vendor ? I have had good luck with LMC ,bad luck with another. I have also bought good used parts from many fine folks on here .Thanks to all of you who were here before me that needed a question answered for I have learned a lot from searching thru your questions and reading the answers. I have received some parts for free and shared some parts for free to others as payback .This is a great site to learn from.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
hilandr452

I buy most of my stuff from Crispy Cream!!!

But seriously, I was recently looking for a bumper and Brothers gave me great customer service when I inquired about a back ordered item. I was not happy to find that the part was made in Taiwan, but I suspect most of them are nowadays anyway and the stickers are just removed. The part seems to be nice and heavy and good quality.

I will look for stories like this in the future to select vendors in the future, and not worry about saving 10-20 bucks.

Dan
73 Chevy Camper Special (Yes, it's badged a camper special) Flat Bed Motorhome conversion 454, standard tranny

"DON'T TREAD ON ME !!!"

My Project: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20829244 , http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24654442
hilandr452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilandr452 View Post
I will look for stories like this in the future to select vendors in the future, and not worry about saving 10-20 bucks.
Dan
I recently placed an order with Mikes bump and Grind, not only was he the cheapest but also threw in some hardware I asked about for free!

LSx Swap FAQ index

Last edited by 70cst; 04-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
70cst

Bump fpr the Saturday crowd.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
70cst

ttt

Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #16
70cst

2 z top

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #17
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Manes Truck Parts... . . I like Ron's outfit because he is an independent and has been in the business since the 80's. He has stock of used, repro, and NOS. Always helping and doesn't mind chatting about them. I just haven't had the privilege to use many if any of the board vendors, but that is normally due to me not deciding I need a part until I am ready. I also buy a lot from Randy. Great to shoot the crap with and very honest seller. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
TonyJohnson

I've had great luck with:

mbgmike - http://www.bumpandgrindgarage.com/

GMCPauls - http://www.gmcpauls.com/67-72_parts.htm

Christians - http://www.christiansclassics.com/

LMC and Brothers have great catalogs...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I use Art's Classic Truck Parts in Indianola, Iowa. Nice guy, good prices, and I can pick them up, so no shipping. He isn't a board vendor but he is very knowledgeable, visits the board occasionally, and has three really nice '67-'72 Chevy trucks.

I have also purchased parts from mbgmike. Great guy and good service.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
mr48chev

I haven't needed a lot of either 71 or 48 specific parts for either of my trucks in the past few years so I haven't done a serious amount of buying.

I have been to Wes's shop and store and met him and got the grand tour and I can say a couple of things. One, he uses what he sells right there on his own personal trucks and is happy to point it out. Two he has most of what he sells in stock on the shelves and gets it shipped in a hurry when you order it. For me that met next day delivery on the windshield and door rubber for the 71. And he is an all around nice guy.

I have only bought a couple of small things from some of the other vendors but quality and service were good. The one my hood bolts and other pieces came from came on high recommendation by a board member and he was right.

I'd rather pay a bit more for the personalized service and being able to get on the phone and talk to the same person every time. And I would rather spend my money with those who support the sites that I participate on than send it off to someone who doesn't know or care that such a site exists.

It still doesn't hurt to gather a good catalog collection for parts and pieces from a wide variety of vendors to know what's out there and to use as reference material and sometimes find that part you can't seem to find otherwise though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote