The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Thealien

^%#**&*^%$#@@!!!@#$%^grrrr

I was hoping to start the 5.3 in my Jimmy today, life had other ideas! My Fuel tank made by the fuel cell guy leaks. I am hoping a little JB weld will fix it but I have to wait for the dripping to stop.

My transmission was puking fluid from a bolt hole above the shifter shaft?? I put a bolt in with some thread sealer on it and it seems to have stopped.

And my thermostat housing is leaking. I installed a new thermostat and even torqued to specs and it is leaking. Oh well maybe next weekend

After it starts and runs successfully I still have to modify the DBW gas pedal.

Install all new heat and AC underdash hoses

Install glove box and door

Install dash bezel/gauges

Have a new exhaust system installed.

Oh well I did make some progress but I was really hoping I could hear it run. I hope you had better luck than me. I'm going out for a motorcycle ride after a good scrubbing!

Mark
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Re: ^%#**&*^%$#@@!!!@#$%^grrrr

Thats sucks about the gas tank. If it were me, I would call the Fuel Cell Guy and tell him about it. I'm pretty sure he warranties his work. Otherwise, if you do it(which may work) it may void the warranty. I plan on ordering one from him in the future and from the guys on this site it seems he sells a pretty good product. He's human like the rest of us and make mistakes. Give him a chance to correct it. Good luck with your build. I know it can be stressful. Trust me, I've been there. These builds can be fun so keep it that way and try not to get too stressed out because you are going to hit several more bumps throughout the process.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Thealien

I emailed him and he contacted me almost immediately. It is about $75 shipping one way so there is not much he can do. He says it was pressure tested and hasn't had 1 leak in ten years, lucky me.

I understand sh!t happens and I deal with it. I have done a ton of research and try to plan for and avoid problems (why I went with a new tank with in tank pump verses going with an inline pump on my existing tank). Like I said I made some progress. Finished the wiring needed for it to run (I hope). Finished the shift linkage and adjusted the park/neutral/reverse switch. Its been an interesting few months. I will be happy when it starts and again when I can drive it!!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

It's s#%* like this that makes me want to name my build "Murphy's Law" when I get around to starting a build thread. Hang in there, it'll be something else next time.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Thealien

its all fixable somehow
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Thealien

Just an update. I had the engine running and moved the Jimmy under its own power yesterday. There is still lots to do ie: permanently mount the DBW pedal (and cut and weld my original pedal to it). Mount the PCM, TAC, heat and AC hoses, glove box, dash, cruise. and have the exhaust installed. I still have 2 anoying leaks that I can't seem to stop???!!

My thermostat housing leaks between the pump and housing. I have removed and replaced it 3 times and it still drips . I am thinking the housing may be bad? I may just replace the whole water pump/thermostat housing eventually.

My power steering pump is dripping from the fitting on the back (I swapped my 1972 fitting with the 2005 fitting so I could use my original hoses). I will have to pull the fitting, compare with the 2005 one and find a fix or go the AN route with the 2005 pump fitting.

But it runs