The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
1968CHEVYC10

Motor running hot

Finally got my her to start few days ago. Anyway today I took it for a test drive probably about ten minutes or so, and when I got back the was a good amount of smoke coming from the engine around the exhaust manifold, and it seemed to be pretty hot. There was a small leak around the lower coolant hose but the the coolant was only about 2 inches below the cap and it wasn't bubbling over. I just changed the oil and coolant today, so it had plenty of oil and wasn't leaking. One thing I noticed and thought might be an issue was that the oil cooler lines were not there and the holes capped off. Did these motors even have that? the motor is a 350 probably an early 70's.
Thanks for the help yall.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Motor running hot

By oil cooler lines... do you mean the transmission cooler lines that run to the radiator?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You didn't say whether the temp gauge showed hot or normal so I'm assuming that radiator temp was not your concern. Smoke on the exhaust manifold is fairly normal if the engine has been worked on and there is oil or solvent residue on it. However, be sure and check to make sure your valve covers aren't leaking somewhere. You may need to run the truck longer to burn any solvents or oil residue off.

There was no engine oil cooler on these trucks unless someone added one afterwards. They did have an automatic transmission fluid cooler on the radiator, though. You probably have an automatic trans radiator.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
1968CHEVYC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
By oil cooler lines... do you mean the transmission cooler lines that run to the radiator?

Gary
Well I thought there were spots for both, two on each side. But I guess I don't need them.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
1968CHEVYC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
You didn't say whether the temp gauge showed hot or normal so I'm assuming that radiator temp was not your concern. Smoke on the exhaust manifold is fairly normal if the engine has been worked on and there is oil or solvent residue on it. However, be sure and check to make sure your valve covers aren't leaking somewhere. You may need to run the truck longer to burn any solvents or oil residue off.

There was no engine oil cooler on these trucks unless someone added one afterwards. They did have an automatic transmission fluid cooler on the radiator, though. You probably have an automatic trans radiator.
Yeah Forgot to mention my temp gauge doesn't work, that or the engine never got warm, which I doubt. I was partly wondering if some of the smoke was just old grease and oil burning, sounds like it is. Thanks for the help Yall!!