The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
clinebarger

Re: Ls Conversion guys, a quick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Ive installed 2 transgo shift kits for the 4l60e.. pretty strait foward. when you pull the "plunger down" from the pump... if you cant get that sucker, drill a small hole and insert a screw and pull the screw down. the pliers sliped on the nub of the plunger and what part of the transmission my elbow hit, but it left a gash that forever to heal.
I borrowd HPtuners, modified the trans table, going to hook up a temporary ground switch to test it out tomarrow.
clint
Its called a pump boost bushing, DO NOT force it out. That can scare the bushing & or the pump housing.

Take a screwdriver & compress the pressure regulator spring, take out the snap ring. If the boost bushing does not come out, Take the screwdriver and work the bushing in & out against the regulator spring untill the boost bushing comes out on its own.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #27
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

ah, didnt think of that at the time.. maybe the thing got suck when i pressed it in to release the snap ring. good info none the less, thanks.
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
87chevy.com

i'll be... it worked. Not surprized, but surprized at the same time. KOEO, scaned the truck and opened up a table that showed the shift preference, at the press of the switch it goes to performance mode, press it again, normal mode yey... The guy who build a circuit board on HPtuners.com forum said he would send me a schematic when he has time to make another drawing. Anyway, just wanted to say it worked. Now I need to wire up a relay for the tow/haul button i want to use. I want to use the "set" button from the cruise contrl switch. My cruise control works, so keeping cruise control is a must. I think ive figured out a simple way of keeping that and using it to swith trans modes.
...use a mini relay.
Pin 85 -ground
Pin 86- cruise on (12v on, 0v off)
Pin 30- ground
pin 87a - cruise control "set" button
pin 87 - tow/haul

it should work. Im not sure which 87 or 87a is normally closed with no power supplied to the relay, that will be the tow/haul, only when the cruise is used will the relay be energized.
clint

edit: well that aint going to work either... i pulled up a diagram of the switch and they give a momentary 12v to the module... after giving it more thought, it looks like maybe a DPDT relay would do the trick, getting complicated, but there wont be any unattractive buttons laying around....

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 06-15-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
87chevy.com

Did a quick schematic of the idea on the cruise control set button.. heres the schematic I drew + the factory cruise control switch.

Dangit.. forgot to add the text for the button... you would cut the Grey and DK Blue wire from the Cruise Switch. The wires coming from the switch go on pins 1 and 4 on the relay, and the side going to the CCM, pins 3 and 5 on the relay... doh.

From the OE switch, Pins A12 and A14 are not functional for the cruise with the Cruise Control On switched in the OFF position. As the relay mod, at rest, the relay connects one side of the cruise control set button to ground and the other to pin 71 of the Blue PCM connector giving it the momentary ground required.

When switched ON, it sends constant 12V to the Cruise Control Module (or from the schematic it should). The relay gets energized, switches the cruise control "SET" button wires back to the OE schematic.

Sounds like it would work as long as the "ON" sends a constant 12V to the Cruise Control Module. I think I have to use a relay with a diode in it so it doesnt send the voltage spike to the CCM when switched off. Other than that, all is good right?

I am going to try this setup this weekend with 2 STDP relays becuase I dont have a DTDP relay in the electrical tub of stuff.. If it works, I will go out and spend the 6 bucks for the correct relay
clint

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 06-16-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
clinebarger

Quote:
Did a quick schematic of the idea on the cruise control set button.. heres the schematic I drew + the factory cruise control switch.

Dangit.. forgot to add the text for the button... you would cut the Grey and DK Blue wire from the Cruise Switch. The wires coming from the switch go on pins 1 and 4 on the relay, and the side going to the CCM, pins 3 and 5 on the relay... doh.

From the OE switch, Pins A12 and A14 are not functional for the cruise with the Cruise Control On switched in the OFF position. As the relay mod, at rest, the relay connects one side of the cruise control set button to ground and the other to pin 71 of the Blue PCM connector giving it the momentary ground required.

When switched ON, it sends constant 12V to the Cruise Control Module (or from the schematic it should). The relay gets energized, switches the cruise control "SET" button wires back to the OE schematic.

Sounds like it would work as long as the "ON" sends a constant 12V to the Cruise Control Module. I think I have to use a relay with a diode in it so it doesnt send the voltage spike to the CCM when switched off. Other than that, all is good right?

I am going to try this setup this weekend with 2 STDP relays becuase I dont have a DTDP relay in the electrical tub of stuff.. If it works, I will go out and spend the 6 bucks for the correct relay
clint
I see your theory on the double pole relay. But not needed, Your 87 cruise switch works the same as the new trucks. My 85 suburbans cruise works great (DBW set-up, the TAC module is the cruise module) The DBC set-up uses a seperate module & alot of the cables have been discontinued by GM.

How whould the cruise "on" switch send a voltage spike when switched off? This all "low" amp stuff. The cruise control module does not draw its power from any of the cruise switches. There just "inputs" no AMP draw.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #31
87chevy.com

the relay is only so the "set" button can be used for both applications. when the relay coil is collapsed there is a voltage spike... just dont want to damage the CCM. yeah i love the cruise control.. use it every once and a while
clint

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #32
clinebarger

Quote:
the relay is only so the "set" button can be used for both applications. when the relay coil is collapsed there is a voltage spike... just dont want to damage the CCM. yeah i love the cruise control.. use it every once and a while
clint
I thought you were trying to use a relay to make the cruise work. I scanned you post way to quick.

It looks like it will work. Good idea on the "double pole/double throw" relay
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Thanks Man. So when you ground pin 71 it switches modes right? And you will cut off the cruise and press the set switch to give the momentary ground. Just trying to be sure I understand where you are going. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #34
87chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
Thanks Man. So when you ground pin 71 it switches modes right?
when its given a momentary ground, so a toggle on off would not function correctly. Your tuner will need to modify the transmission shift preference feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
And you will cut off the cruise and press the set switch to give the momentary ground. Just trying to be sure I understand where you are going. Jay
yeah, in the diagram of the cruise control, pins A12 and A14 are the ones I am going to cut and wire into the relay. Looks like it would work. Im going to stop by the garage and grab some terminals, relays and some wire and give it a try probally Monday or Tuesday.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #35
87chevy.com

well I finally found some time afterwork to wire this hauus up and man it was confusing once all of the wires were infront of me. I kept on getting lost even though I printed the schematics.. lol. Got it wired up just like I wanted it. I left the CCM unpluged just incase.. I tested the tow/haul Pins A and B (which would be the SET button with the cruise On button OFF. It did what its supposed to do, so I plugged in the relays and sure enough it worked. Now this is the odd part... I was testing the relay on/off and with only one plugged in it worked but the cruise ON button was wierd.. seemed to have a dead spot on it... no biggie... tested it on/off a few times great. I put both relays (becuase i dont have the DPDT relay, im using 2 SPDT relays...same difference just 2 coils) and it didnt work... Im like damn. I unpluged one and tried it again and nada. checked alll of the fuses that go to the cruise control switch and good. I think I killed the contacts ?? maybe the E=IxR formula should have been calculated... even though it didnt blow the 20A fuse, I wonder if it damaged the contact in the switch. Ive got a chart that tells if your switch is bad or not, so I will be checking it later on.
If thats the case maybe I will have to think of a simple circuit that turns on the relay without adding any amps to the cruise ON circuit. ahhh this stuff makes my head hurt.. I know a simple switch somewhere on the dash will be just fine, but this setup is transparent and clean... complicated but clean.
any thoughts/advice??
clint

edit, did the math and each relay pulls .165A (didnt do the math on parallel but even then its not going to be a lot of Amps so further diag on the switch will be next on the agenda.

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 06-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.