The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
7dguy

Restoration Suggestions??? 70 CST400, Short, Fleet, Wood

Hello gents...

I own a burnished brown, 70, CST400, Shortbed, Fleetside. It has 89K actual miles, everything works and it has no rust. Runs and drives perfectly but needs paint and a trim restoration very badly. It's quite original and definitely a "survivor". I have a build sheet and the POP is still in the glovebox.

Body:
I'm inclined to take it off the frame and completely restore it to exact original spec's, but am fearful of being hopelessly buried in it. It really is an ugly color, but considering how rare the truck is and how good of shape it's in, I think it would be sinful to change it. On the other hand, black, huggar orange or even red would look better and might offset resale value enough to offset the lack of authenticity. I understand we are not dealing with Big Block sportscars here but there are some people who willl pay for legit vehicles. Admittedly, I have no knowlege of the market for show quality pickups. One thing to consider. I might...might be able to get away with an exterior repaint, including the jams. Intgerior paint is amost salvageable (near perfect but a couple of deep scratches)

Drivetrain:
I am considering just re-paint and re-seal the drivetrain if possible. Will know more on this after pulling it. Suspension will be re-sprung and powdercoated regardless.

The big question is really whether or not I want to change the color or not. With such a rare truck to start with, what would you do if you were at minimum going to a date correct restoration? Ugly color and authentic, vs pretty?

As a related matter I need a set of 6 lug front wheels. Mine are 5 in front, 6 in rear and I am taking it to original.

Thanks for your feedback.
7dguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Bill72

Re: Restoration Suggestions??? 70 CST400, Short, Fleet, Wood

Are you going to keep it? If so you'll never enjoy it if you hate the color. On the other hand, if the color is Dark gold, that is a 70 only color I believe. I love that color and so do others. There was a thread started by Vectorit trying to find this color truck. search the site for dark gold and I think it will be the first thread listed titled rootbeer brown... There is even a comment in the thread about being tired of the oranges and reds.

If it was a new paint job would you like the current color? If so , keep it. If not paint what you like.

If you're going to make everything else stock and you are going to sell it, then keep the color.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
7dguy

Keeping it for quite some time. I think if I were to change the color of the trim panels to black, rather than the plastic burlwood, the existing color would look good. But that burlwood clashes BIG with the paint. Still not sure. My wife actually found the truck when we bought it and she loves it. Might just let her pick the paint color!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dguy View Post
Keeping it for quite some time. I think if I were to change the color of the trim panels to black, rather than the plastic burlwood, the existing color would look good. But that burlwood clashes BIG with the paint. Still not sure. My wife actually found the truck when we bought it and she loves it. Might just let her pick the paint color!
Sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
7dguy

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Do what your budget will allow, I always tell people to vision there project then start the pricing, alot of them are shocked to see the costs but, it makes your vision become realistic. Also if you are going to do the resto yourself, do what your abilities will allow. Dont open a can you cant close.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Can you post a picture of the truck? That will help us (me) see what we're working with as far as the color goes. Plus I need to see what kind of damage you are working with interms of wanting to cover up that original paint.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
7dguy

Testing the attachment process:
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
LEEVON

Beautiful truck! Having been there before, and since you asked for advice;

1) Leave the color, it is a great color and I think it will keep the resale value especially since it's a well-optioned original truck. I think you would kick yourself later for changing, plus it will make it easier to paint.

2) Paint the exterior and freshen up the trim for now. Nothing stopping you from doing the interior later and this way you won't be down long enough to lose interest. On a truck that clean you won't need to get too nit-picky, just freshen her up!

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-14-2010 at 05:47 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

1) Leave the color, it is a great color and I think it will keep the resale value especially since it's a well-optioned original truck. I think you would kick yourself later for changing, plus it will make it easier to paint.

2) Paint the exterior and freshen up the trim for now. Nothing stopping you from doing the interior later and this way you won't be down long enough to lose interest. On a truck that clean you won't need to get too nit-picky, just freshen her up!

Thanks for the suggestion...might go that route depending on how "fresh" the interior might look when it's done. Would be easier and much faster this way.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I was going to suggest leaving it original, since they're only original once, but the primered patches pretty much rule that out. I really like that color though - I'd hang with that.

How much do you think a re-paint will cost?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
C/10 King

Remember make "yourself" happy first, if YOU like original, then leave it original. No matter what you do, there is always somebody that will say "that's not original" or "you should have done this or that", I used to get so tired of hearing what I should have done, that now I reply "Let's see yours!" And most of the time they don't even have one. So make "yourself" happy first, always.
By the way I kept my 68'(Gumby) very stock for a long time and received a lot of compliments, one year ago Gumby was bagged, and the compliments have not stopped or even slowed down, not to mention the cash offers. The moral to the story is......YOU don't have to be original if YOU don't want to be!!!!!
Attached Images

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I was going to suggest leaving it original, since they're only original once, but the primered patches pretty much rule that out. I really like that color though - I'd hang with that.

How much do you think a re-paint will cost?
There is nothing on the POP or build sheet that specifies the mirror type so I think I can change to high mounted and still be technically correct. As for the stainless box panels, not sure. Curious why they were there, not functional.

Getting my first bid on paint tomorrow eve. A great deal will depend on a color change and if I repaint the interior. It really is near perfect which may be the deciding factor on keeping it the original color. Will advise.

Last edited by 7dguy; 09-15-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Remember make "yourself" happy first, if YOU like original, then leave it original. No matter what you do, there is always somebody that will say "that's not original" or "you should have done this or that", I used to get so tired of hearing what I should have done, that now I reply "Let's see yours!" And most of the time they don't even have one. So make "yourself" happy first, always.
By the way I kept my 68'(Gumby) very stock for a long time and received a lot of compliments, one year ago Gumby was bagged, and the compliments have not stopped or even slowed down, not to mention the cash offers. The moral to the story is......YOU don't have to be original if YOU don't want to be!!!!!
Nice Truck!

Last edited by 7dguy; 09-24-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
mrein3

Before I start let me just say that I like the color and it is a nice truck. I'm partial to the 69/70 fronts and would kill to have a sw desert truck like that to start with.

Being that it is 5 in the front and 6 in the back it is not all that original. I'm guessing that it was a highly optioned 70 with a big block (400) but 1970 didn't have disk brakes. Somebody between the factory and you corrected that with a disk brake front (5 lug).

What would I do? First I'd make that rear 5 lug so I could carry only one spare.

Since I don't mind the color I'd simply re-spray the exterior the same color and buff up the jams, inside of the doors, and the dash.

Then I'd look for an air conditioning system. Either cut in a factory one (keeps the original thing going) or go aftermarket (easier).
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Those mirrors are the correct for 69-70 versions. The sport mirrors were 71-72, but you could put west coast junior's on there and they would be just as acceptable. Personally, I too would stay with the original color, it looks good on there and just freshen up the interior. Nice truck and welcome to the board!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Before I start let me just say that I like the color and it is a nice truck. I'm partial to the 69/70 fronts and would kill to have a sw desert truck like that to start with.

Being that it is 5 in the front and 6 in the back it is not all that original. I'm guessing that it was a highly optioned 70 with a big block (400) but 1970 didn't have disk brakes. Somebody between the factory and you corrected that with a disk brake front (5 lug).

What would I do? First I'd make that rear 5 lug so I could carry only one spare.

Since I don't mind the color I'd simply re-spray the exterior the same color and buff up the jams, inside of the doors, and the dash.

Then I'd look for an air conditioning system. Either cut in a factory one (keeps the original thing going) or go aftermarket (easier).
It was a 6 lug originally. The only non-original parts on the truck (other than expendables) are the steering wheel, the mirror, the 5 lug front wheels, antenna and the lack of stainless covers on the box. The original AM radio is under the front seat in perfect conditon. Going with 6, restoring the body to orig and going the same colors seems best. The drivetrain is entirely original. Original accessories, manifolds, etc...

Adding air would almost seem un-cool, so to say

Last edited by 7dguy; 09-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

x2 I love that stock color.

Much like Rene... I also had the issues of contemplating changing from original, lowering the truck, etc. Here's what I ended up with... and it's still 6-lug.

Name:  105_0041.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  54.7 KB

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote