The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

Lifting Cab, Doors, Front Fenders, Hood and Rad Support off frame in one piece ???

Just like the name says, I somehow think this is a bad idea.

But I thought I better ask

Thanks
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Lifting Cab, Doors, Front Fenders, Hood and Rad Support off frame in one piece ??

i think its a bad idea too.. you can pull the nose off in one piece but id pull the nose as aunit then the doors remove the seat and then lift the cab

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
canadian trucker

Re: Lifting Cab, Doors, Front Fenders, Hood and Rad Support off frame in one piece ??

I just did not want to go thru the hassle of unbolting everything. The interior is already out. Same with electrical.

I have a 1 ton overhead crane at my shop which I was going to utilize
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Take the hood off, wrap straps through the cab and around the core support, like through the headlamp holes or something. Should be fine as one unit going straight up and straight back down, just be sure to not try to do it by just lifting the cab or something.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
dv8customs

It's only 3 bolts per side that hold the fenders to the cab. Pull the front clip as one piece and pull the cab seperate.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
canadian trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8customs View Post
It's only 3 bolts per side that hold the fenders to the cab. Pull the front clip as one piece and pull the cab seperate.
but if I recall correctly I have to take the doors off to pull the fenders,
unless I'm barking up the wrong tree here.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

no u can keep doors on to pull the fenders.but it easer to remove fenders with front bumper off
Posted via Mobile Device
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I would never try it. If you don't lift equally your going to tweak everything and have to pull it all apart to get it straight again.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
canadian trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 chevy silverado View Post
no u can keep doors on to pull the fenders.but it easer to remove fenders with front bumper off
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe you are correct sir. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I would never try it. If you don't lift equally your going to tweak everything and have to pull it all apart to get it straight again.
You have a valid point, and since I do not feel like re-adjusting everything again. it will be two pcs.

Thank you for the input
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
BigBlocksRule

I did it on a couple with a cheap A-frame and a Harbor Freight winch. We used a couple of long straps, one all the way around the cab, toward the rear, held in place by the cab bolts. One more around the front fenders and the last one at the bottom of the core support. The core support piece and rear strap lift most, the one around the fenders is more for stability than anything else. We managed to get 'em high enough to roll frames out from under them without letting the air out of the tires, both were 1-tons with tall front tires!
This let me keep the entire front clip together, where everything has settled to after 150K miles of bouncing around.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=canadian trucker;4206350]I believe you are correct sir. I stand corrected.

your welcome sir
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Buick455

A made a lifting spreader beam and lifted the cab with straps as shown. I have since added the correct lifting hooks and lifting straps but this worked fine. I still need to pull the cab from the 86 and box off my 87. It works for the cab and box. The main advantage of the spreader beam it it does not squeeze the parts being picked up.
Attached Images

Buick455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
canadian trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I did it on a couple with a cheap A-frame and a Harbor Freight winch. We used a couple of long straps, one all the way around the cab, toward the rear, held in place by the cab bolts. One more around the front fenders and the last one at the bottom of the core support. The core support piece and rear strap lift most, the one around the fenders is more for stability than anything else. We managed to get 'em high enough to roll frames out from under them without letting the air out of the tires, both were 1-tons with tall front tires!
This let me keep the entire front clip together, where everything has settled to after 150K miles of bouncing around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick455 View Post
A made a lifting spreader beam and lifted the cab with straps as shown. I have since added the correct lifting hooks and lifting straps but this worked fine. I still need to pull the cab from the 86 and box off my 87. It works for the cab and box. The main advantage of the spreader beam it it does not squeeze the parts being picked up.

Im liking both of these ideas. If I only could get my cab mounts...... unbolted that wold be great.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Buick455 I like the way you think, your get'n your moneys worth outa that backhoe aint ya, feed'n cattle, body work, dig'n footers !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

we did several with a skip loader with a three way bucket and a tow strap thru the winders and a guid roap for just the cab and doors full interiour and wiring and everything it went great we also move beds with this method i would take the clip off i had to use a leaf froma spring pack as a prying device to jummiy it off the frame the bumper helped as a fulcrum point and no damage to it if done right no damage shopuld occur

Last edited by kris's66lwb; 09-24-2010 at 01:52 PM.
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote