The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
77BBGMC

tranny cross member question

I started unbolting everything to pull the transmission tomorrow night. I ran into a challenge…how do you get the bolts out that drop from the top side of the frame into the cross member? When I go to push them out they hit on the bottom of the cab. I need at least another 3/8” to get them out.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

77BBGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
cor86

Re: tranny cross member question

You have two options. Option #1: cut the bolts with a torch, sawzall, etc., and replace with new grade 8 bolts. Option #2: Loosen, or remove, the cab mount bolts and core support mounting bolts and use a jack, long bar, etc. to separate the cab from the frame. Personally, I like option #1. Maybe someone else can give an option #3???
cor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

can't tell not sure where they are, if drilling out above it is an option ,i've drilled out holes,replaced with rubber gromets in case remove/do it again

Last edited by motornut; 09-23-2010 at 05:28 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
77BBGMC

I thought about cutting them out but threre is not much room to work. I may have to go with raising the cab.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
benoit454
Chris

you could maybe pry or bend the floor up and get them out? or cut them off from the bottom side, can you do that? from inside the frame maybe a grinder or something to cut what you can off the threaded part? Might be easier to get shorter bolts when you put it back in, or put the nut on top of the frame. That way the head of the bolt is inside the frame and you can maybe get a wrench on the nut on top of the frame to hold it while you tighten or loosen them.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

I hated those bolts. I chose to just leave the bolts hang there after getting the nuts off and dropped the crossmember having taken the other brackets apart.

Yes, they are a true pain! When I reassembled I used all new hardware on everything else except for these bolts that sit just under the cab. Yes, putting it back together was equally a pain again fighting the close space of getting a wrench on the top of each bolt.

Patience and a lot of WD-40 was the key because if you do cut them, then how are you bolting it back together without raising the cab?

Seriously, it was often a quarter turn at a time with a small breaker bar I made for just those nuts and bolts! Cussing those GM design engineers who could have made these capscrews or welded bolts but didn't in the design is optional, but trust me, it did nothing in my case to make it any easier so I just laid there on a creeper, got comfortable and worked through it until done. A pry bar also helps for that little bit of clearance where needed to get a wrench on and off the top of those bolts but use it carefully.

Short of wrestling that transmission these bolts you mention were equally a pain as I earned my 'merit badge' for completing a successful clutch job on my square body Chevy this summer. Get past these and don't let that transmission fall on you then the rest is easy no matter how hard it is!

Good Luck!
Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 09-23-2010 at 12:35 AM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
77BBGMC

Thanks guys for the feedback! I tried the patience method and after some grumbling and complaining and what seemed like an hour I got the last three bolts loose. I don't know why I didn't realize it last night but the bolts didn't need to come out, once the nuts were off the top brackets slid down and out and then I was able to move the transmission mount out of the way.

The transmission is now out and spread out across the bench. Fortunately I have a buddy that's a mechanic and used to work in a tranny shop. It's way over my head at this point. I'll spend the weekend getting everything cleaned up and then we will start putting it back together next week...if all goes well.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
draggin86

ratcheting end wrench?
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
77BBGMC

no ratcheting end wrench...it sure would have helped!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
RuralRoute C-30

Draggin'86 is right on the money that about using a ratcheting wrench for those bolts. I got really lucky and had a set I've never used until this need came up. Now I swear by them!

Good luck on the project.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 09-24-2010 at 06:19 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote