The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
DaSchlange

250ci rebuild

So I am rebuilding a 250 chevy motor and need some tips on how to go about it. This will be built too. I am going to put on it a 4 barrel intake but not sure what carb to put on it. I'm looking at 1 600 holley but don't know if that will be too much. I need ideas on other parts as well such as the cam and crank, shaving the head, what it should be bored to, stuff like that. I'm new to the rebuild game and just need some talented and experienced minds to help me out.
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 250ci rebuild

The 6 will benefit from better compression.You can mill the head or run different pistons.Some piston choices may be the propane ones for a 250,aftermarket or I believe someone said a 307 or 305 size would work.The 600 carb is a bit big for any but a really wild 6.Most recomend a 390 though I haven't seen many around for sale.The head on a 250 is the weak point(as far as power) due to flowing like molasses.They have plenty of port volume but too much to keep velocity up.HEI is almost a necessity.
I don't like to bore an engine block any more than required but that may also be affected by piston choice since there may only be a few options.Keep in mind that with a 6 you may spend 2-3 times the money for less performance than you would get with a cheaper V8.Parts such as PS,A/C brackets are also a bit harder to locate.If you do add weither of these get the pulleys and if possible tha harmonic dampner.
Try a search and check out the thread on 6 cyl.I think it asks for pics.Lots of good info and some more knowledgeable folk posted in it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

I saw this very cool conversion to get the bolt out of the middle of the intake port. If I was to do any L6 work, this would be part of the build.

-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

You might be happier with the 390 Holley. Both Jegs and Summit list them in their catalogs, but they're not cheap. I used to run the 390 CFM Model 4160 P/N R8007 Holley 4Bbl on an Offy intake with Clifford headers. It ran for about 25 years, but when I rebuilt the engine, I had manifold leak problems and I wasn't sure it had a good sealing base anymore, so I went to the 500 CFM Edelbrock 1404 4Bbl clone of the old Carter AFB.
I'm running a '68 292 L6, bored .030 over, with Badger pistons, Sealed Power chrome/moly rings, bigger intake valves [1.84"], Crane 260H cam, Centerforce II clutch, SM465 tranny, 12-bolt Corp rear with 3.73 Eaton posi rear on a '68 C/10 Stepside.
A good book is Leo Santucci's "Chevrolet InLine Six Cylinder Power Manual." ISBN: 1-931128-15-4.
Some websites to check out:
www.inliners.org
www.stoveboltengineco.com
www.cliffordperformance.net
Good luck.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 10-01-2010 at 04:30 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote