The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: 1960 Cadillac, Series 62, 2 Door Hardtop

well gang, it's been kind of slow around the caddy since the the birth of my second son, but I gotten a few things accomplished despite no sleep and fast food

well I pulled the entire trunk covering panels out to inspect the floor. the only rust back there was a spot the size of an apple in the rear most floor. apparently, caddys of this era ALL leaked there. I plan on POR15ing the entire trunk pan this winter just to be on the safe side that the rust that's there, will no spread anytime soon. on a side note, it really is amazing the time and effort GM went to just to line the trunk with houndstooth cover panels for the trunk. I mean you cannot see one steel body panel back there, and mine is still all there and intact. that was a lot of effort just to make a trunk "clean"!

I then moved onto the passenger door where the vent window did not work. this caddy's vent windows pivot out with the use of a crank. well the passenger side vent window gear had frozen up years ago (I'm assuming) and I wanted to investigate. after nearly 4 hours of trying to figure out how to pull the door panel off without breaking something, I had it off. the chipmunks must have decided that the passenger door was a nice place to live, so the entire bottom of the door was full of nuts and insulation. after that was completely cleaned out, a good coat of POR15 was brushed onto the inside surface of the lower door well, and the exterior door well. it was amazingly intact for being a 50 year old car. this is another problem spot for these caddys.... the door well is usually toast. back to the vent window gear. so after I figured out how to dismantle the entire interior door structure, I was able to pull the gear out. looks like water wasn't good to it, because it was frozen from rust corroding the gears. great, another expensive "do-dad" that's going to cost wayyyy too much 'cause it says Cadillac on it. amazingly enough, after a good soaking of PB Blaster, and it worked like new. I packed the gears with marine grease and put everything back together. one gripe with GM though. the door panels are installed with the worst "system" I have ever seen. the back of the panel's outer seams had what appears to be 1" nails sticking out of them. those nails in turn are tapped into a one way slit on the door. talk about a byotch to remove and install without screwing something up!!!! I will have to be real careful when I pull the driver's door apart next week!

had to pick up a new ignition switch today since mine was not engaging the starter solenoid........ this was after my locksmith put about 4 hours in it's rebuild. oh well, you win some.....

at this moment I have completely disassembled the front grill and headlight assembly. I thought the grill deserved a good polishing after 50 years. bad. there's damn near 200 crevices in that grill to polish. I have no more meat left on my hands....... but the grill sure looks good!

no new pics except for when I took it around the block with my 3.5 year old. more updates soon! note the no grill look, yuck!

and back home.... the lower trunk valance is off in this pic.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 10-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Man that thing is sweet. It's getting a little more frustrating every time I check up on this thread though. Jealousy keeps kicking in

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Beautifull car man ... Fricking awesome !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

There's only one word that can accurately describe the 50's and 60's caddy's...

S E X Y!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
bguild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
There's only one word that can accurately describe the 50's and 60's caddy's...

S E X Y!
I get mixed up with those years
of caddys sometimes. I do agree with you lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

actually, the early 50's two door is a beautiful car as well. can't describe it, but it's proportions are just perfect.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 10-22-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
69CST-V

That's a great ride. Can't wait to see it around town.

Company Trucks
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
packrat42

That is one sexy car! Well done.

...............................____
.................________-|___\____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

sweet car bro, nice find. 1960 caddy coupes are also my #1 favorite year for a cadillac. good luck with your new ride man, its a beautiful car.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Love the big Caddy's a lot. I'm curious, is the upholstery shot? You mentioned Mexican blankets, seems to be a shame to cover up that classic upholstery if its in nice shape.

Gonna look great a little lower for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Love the big Caddy's a lot. I'm curious, is the upholstery shot? You mentioned Mexican blankets, seems to be a shame to cover up that classic upholstery if its in nice shape.

Gonna look great a little lower for sure.
hey CG, I see you over on the HAMB too, right?

well the back seat is darn near mint (like most old cars). but the front seat had a small tear in it (typical). I figure that covering them up now would help with the resale later. my 4 year and 1 year old boy will be riding with us in their carseats, so protection for the original upholstery is a must.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
hey CG, I see you over on the HAMB too, right?

well the back seat is darn near mint (like most old cars). but the front seat had a small tear in it (typical). I figure that covering them up now would help with the resale later. my 4 year and 1 year old boy will be riding with us in their carseats, so protection for the original upholstery is a must.
Yep on the HAMB too. I see where you are going now with the blankets. Love the big Caddys, I have a 41 Sedanette I got here from board member oldiron...enjoy your ride =)

Last edited by CG; 12-24-2010 at 11:14 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
1/2Dozen

another Iowa car, what the heck! How are all these getting away from me. I love caddy's Had a 65 Coupe Deville and not currently own a 70 Coupe Deville that I'm slowly working on the body but it sailed home smooth from Minneapolis last summer.
76 Airstream Sovereign
1/2Dozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Holy crap Doug! Only you can go from a cool truck to a cooler Caddy... I know of a '61 sitting in a lady's front yard that I might look a little closer at next time I drive by. Or I could Bogart my bro's '70 convertible.

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2Dozen View Post
another Iowa car, what the heck! How are all these getting away from me. I love caddy's Had a 65 Coupe Deville and not currently own a 70 Coupe Deville that I'm slowly working on the body but it sailed home smooth from Minneapolis last summer.
spotted this one over on the HAMB. call it fate or divine intervention, but I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it. my grandparents used to buy a new black Cadillac every year...... and I always loved them.

guess nothing changes.......

Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Very cool ride..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Okay Doug... no Christmas updates? We need to know how things are going.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Yep....let's see all the presents for that sled!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Christmas updates as requested

realized a few months back that the fuel gauge was no longer. matter of fact, it pegged to full when started, and stayed there. since I didn't really want to run out of gas with this yacht, I figured it was time to drop the tank. now, I THOUGHT I had run the tank down to 2-3 gallons. remember that point. so I crawled underneath and started in. 50 years takes it's toll on bolts and most I encountered took a soaking of atf and acetone to get loose. so now comes dropping the tank. the straps needed replacing, so I simply cut them off. with my trusty floor jack, I started lowering the tank. remember 2-3 gallons? well it was more like 10 and second it was coming down the weight shifted and my garage floor got a great soaking of 92 octane. well, at least the floor is spotless now. so after the tank was down and sitting on my tranny jack, I started siphoning. did I mention the night before, I filled both my wife's truck and my econobox up? so now what to do with 10 gallons of fuel. hummm, there's a 16 year old that lives next door. he owns a huge 3/4 ton GMC 4x with a 454. I was 16 and remember the no gas dilemma, so I gave him an early Christmas present. when your 16, gas is right up there with food........

come to find out, the fuel sending unit was bad. but it wasn't beyond repair......

however, Christmas was coming so I asked for a gift certificate to Original Parts Group (since they carry a replacement sending unit). so after I got my g.c., I went online to order. now this sending unit is less than a pound and 11" long. OPG wanted $25 to ship this stupid thing!!!! you have to be kidding. the kicker was their pathetic web ordering system. NO WHERE is there a place to put in a gift certificate #. I damn near called the president to give him/her a piece of my mind..... but there's no such thing as customer service anymore.

so after a run to an old school generator shop, my old sending unit was perfect. thanks OPG, didn't need your ridiculous shipping cost anyway.

at this point, I'm waiting on NAPA to get my tank straps in. oh NAPA, I have a problem now with them too. so I called my local store and had the pn# and my credit card ready to order. nope, you have to come in to buy that part..... it's a special order. can I give you my credit card # to get the ball rolling? nope, have to come in - in person. so instead of my order getting on the truck that day, I had to wait to go in to be "there in person". stupid policy when I will give you a cc# that you can charge...... so your not out a special order part.

rant off.

so I picked up an original 1960 Nixon-Lodge presidential bumper sticker that is going on.

I POR15ed the fuel tank while it was down. I was amazed at the condition of the interior. spotless. thank God, new tanks are $275, and that's a Chinese knock off.

did I mention that everything for this car is 1. hard to find, 2. expensive, and 3. non existant?!!

oh yeah, I was able to pick up a set of front fenders and inner fenders for $100!!! there's a single, beat to crap fender on fleebay now for $500! I really didn't need them, but when you can save a mint, then save a MINT!

oh and last but not least..... I am waiting on a response from a guy on Craigslist that has a set of practically new Tru-Spoke rims. old school. I never liked wire rims, but then again, I never owned a Caddy. hope they are 5 on 5. wires and white walls..... are you kidding? that's Cadillac!!!

Last edited by tcb-1; 12-31-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #20
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

Man, that's a sweet Caddy. Makes me miss mine. I had a 63 Rag and a 61 hard top. Sold them both One day I'll find the 55 I've been wanting. Here's a pic of my 61.

kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #21
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

niiiiice '61, kali. always liked the looks of that year. they were a bit (not much) smaller than the 59-60. the proportions were spot on. now you need to get yourself that '55!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #22
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

Thanx. That's why I liked the 61, It still had the big wing, but smaller body just like you said. Someday I'll find that 55. Iv'e been looking, but I'm just kinda picky, so It has to be just right.
kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Doug, it is 5 on 5. A set of Sabres would be perfect on there, too.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

went to look at the Tru Spokes today, and decided against them. when someone says "like new", they mean drug behind a truck, dunked in a salt bath, and shot with a 12 gauge...... oh well, gotta love the craigslist.

jonboy, sabres would be wicked. finding good ones is hard though, and when you do, they are expensive. but, they are niiiiice. I'm now looking at '57 Cadillac caps. old school, yet anatomically correct

Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
suville

Doug, shoot me an email I have a bunch of Cad links I will send to you. BTW what a gorgeous survivor. I did a mild custom many years ago for a cat out in Washington when I had the body shop always liked that body style along with 48-53 coupe devilles and 67-70 eldos nice lines. There is a guy in Cal. John De Augistino (sp) that built a beautiful custom based on the 67-70 eldo along with many other luxury cars that he built must be a very weathy cat.
stevesmith98273@yahoo.com
suville is offline   Reply With Quote