The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2003, 01:51 AM   #1
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

Cheyenne? Custom Deluxe?

Is there a way to identify (besides fender badges) whether a truck is a Cheyenne, or a Custom Deluxe, or whatever?

Badges can be added by anyone or a fender may be interchanged from one to another. So, how can one know which truck is which...for sure?
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:47 AM   #2
1969 GMC

CST is applicable to 67-70 trucks, after that cheyenne took its place (except on blazers, 69-72 could all be CST, if ordered). It should also say on the glovebox sheet.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:01 AM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

Couple of things off hand, the Cheyenne would have a headliner, the CD would not. I believe the Cheyenne would have a cargo light also.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

I see. Well, it has a headliner which is a padded sorta glued-on pad...which is a dark brown vinyl. The bench seat is the same. But the glovebox sticker calls for a "parchment custom CLOTH interior"...all the more confusing as these were probably scavanged from another truck. It also has a dome light with a little separate switch underneath it (looks factory-and listed on glovebox sticker)...plus a factory chrome cargo lamp.

Here's my problem:

I just purchased a 1971 Chevy shortbed.

It came with Cheyenne 10 badges and the DELUXE badges for the fenders.

They had been removed but the holes in the fenders match up.

It has the Z62 Option (most of them are still intact anyway) and this was called "Custom Deluxe".

This option was NOT supposed to be available when Cheyenne, Super Cheyenne, or bucket seats were
ordered (at least in '72) but I do not know about '71 models. Here's a thread about it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=z62

Going by this info I would assume that someone added Cheyenne badges.

But what is really wierd about my truck is that the glovebox sticker calls for a Light yellow and white paint Option 545 (two colors...like the Cheyenne?) but this truck is light yellow top to bottom, inside and out. I have been sanding the body in prep for bodywork and paint and she is originally painted this way...no white to be found anywhere. If it were originally 2-tone (yellow and white) I would find this while sanding the body...but no, contrary to what the glovebox sticker says, this truck is solid light yellow originally. All the other RPO codes match up..except for the above mentioned paint mystery. Also there is no evidence of lower body trim holes like the Cheyenne would have..only the upper strip, like a Custom Deluxe.

If not for the Cheyenne badges (which could have been added later) and the yellow and white paint code on the glovebox sticker I would feel that it is a Custom Deluxe.

Maybe this truck was stripped down to the metal previously...but from the condition it's in now that is highly doubtful.

I know this is confusing, I'm just trying to make sense of the badge/color code discrepancy...in order to properly restify my new toy with the correct trim and badges.

Here's a picture of the new (old!) money pit...don't laugh!:

The glovebox sticker:

Oh Lordy...what a job I have in store.....

Last edited by SLS; 06-11-2003 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Here's a couple of things for you to check:

1. Headliner. Factory installed headliner will have a chrome painted plastic trim piece around it. If it's missing, you should still have slotted holes in your inner cab roof skin that the headliner trim clips inserted into. If the trim is there, check to see if slotted holes are under it. These holes will be neat and uniform and elongated if pre-drilled at factory. It is possible that someone went to the trouble to drill holes after the fact but they won't be perfectly uniform (unless the PO was really anal about his install). If you don't have these holes, your cab was not a Cheyenne cab. CD's could not be ordered with a headliner as it was a Cheyenne/Cheyenne Super only item.

2. Cheyennes and super's came with carpeting. CD's would have color-keyed rubber mat. The lone exception is the Highlander equipped CD. This had black carpeting included as part of Highlander package.

Another clue is you say no lower trim. Cheyennes and supers had upper and lower trim as part of the package.

Another possibility is that your truck is simply a highly optioned Custom model. Your sticker has a # next to the SE which usually indicates a special order, i.e. the buyer ticked off the options he/she wanted and the factory built it that way.

As for the paint, here's a theory based on the possibility I pointed out above:

There were 2 two-tone options. One had white top and white on sides between upper AND lower trim. The other option was similar, except white top with white below LOWER trim. Either option requires lower trim to mask the paint lines. It is possible the purchaser ticked the 2 tone box but was never instructed that the lower trim option had to be ticked as well. It went to the factory as 2 tone and got into whatever computer system spit out the rpo stickers. However, at the time paint was to be applied, somone noticed the lack of trim and "deleted" the 2 tone as a factory line decision even though the sticker still listed it.

Another tell-tale 2 tone clue is a chrome trim band behind cab. This was added again to mask the paint lines. If your cab had 2 tone it would have the trim or at the very least it would have the pins welded to cab to hold trim clips.

Anyway, iteresting truck. Any way to get a clearer pic of the glove box sticker?

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Yellow Cheyenne

Is it possible that the glove box door doesn't belong to the pickup? The serial number on the tag should match the one on the pickup (I think it should-I don't have mine here to look). Mine also has the light yellow and originally had a olive green top. Now has white top and white between the chrome strips on the side.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #7
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
All the other RPO codes match up..except for the above mentioned paint mystery.
I think the glovebox is original to the truck based on above statement made by SLS. I had thought that too

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 PM   #8
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

This info really helps!

The VIN #'s on the metal door opening plate and the glovebox sticker match.

Also, the SE# is FTO683947

The cab ceiling has NO holes in it. The headliner is a dark brown 'rolled' vinyl that is glued on with some sort of adhesive. It matches the sunvisors and the seat cover...must be some kind of J.C. Whitney deluxe interior package...LOL. At least the dashpad is still Parchment (as per the glovebox sticker info).

The cab has the small chrome trim that runs across the back and is attached by the little factory 'nail head' peg thingys and rectangle plastic clips. Being that I had not done any sanding on the roof I grabbed the trusty air disc sander, and a pad of 80-grit...and went to work, wet sanding gently. What I uncovered was:

The top layer of yellow, a coat of primer, ANOTHER coat of yellow, a coat of primer, WHITE, a coat of primer...and then bare naked metal.

Yep, she has had 2 yellow repaints...and originally had a WHITE cab top! Both front fenders have been repainted yellow one time only. So I really feel that the fenders themselves are original to the truck as both coats of yellow match both coats of yellow on the cab...and a PO really wanted a Cheyenne...and swapped badges....wannabe.......

I went on to the bedside (the doors are replacements and therefore no help at all) and started sanding again...in between the upper trim mounting area (above and below the trim line). What I uncovered was:

Yellow, primer, and then metal. Above and below. I also did the same thing on both front fenders.

Apparently the cab as been repainted twice and front fenders have been repainted once...but not the bed.

So I think we have solved the mystery. This truck must be a Custom Deluxe due to lack of two-tone on bed and fenders, and the lack of headliner trim mountiing holes....

...unless someone else can provide futher clues to deepen this mystery.

Thanks again for helping me out with all of the info.....you guys are what makes this site so unbelievably awesome!

Last edited by SLS; 06-11-2003 at 07:28 PM.