The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
heierlu

What is this '64 worth? Advice Needed

My dad and I have always wanted to do a project vehicle. I've always loved the C10's, and I came across this C10 close to me for sale. Here is the description:

"very nice 1/2 ton short box fleetside with a great body, passenger side front fender has rust but I will include a nice extra set of fenders. Super solid Texas truck. Great running mean sounding 350 with new Edlebrock carb, headers, HEI, etc, 350 turbo tranny, nice wheels and tires, basically needs paint to finish, nice original condition."

I know the 350 didn't come original, so I'm a bit worried about how that was done. Based on what you can see here, what would you say it is worth? I have no idea what these sell for in this condition, so any advice would be helpful.
heierlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Re: What is this '64 worth? Advice Needed

What is he asking? A solid short box here in the rust belt is actually worth something. It will be worth more here than down south or out west.

Also, is there any other rust issues? Be sure to check the obvious (cab corners, rockers) and the stuff that may be a little more hidden (floor, lower cowl, cab mount area). Also, check all around the windshield for rust in the roof and header area.

How is the box? A shortbox that is not beat is worth something; but if it needs work, the parts are more expensive than longbox stuff (except maybe repop)

If its an original paint, rust free truck (except fenders) this could be a good find

Last edited by tapeworm; 10-19-2010 at 02:00 AM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

2-3k maybe?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

If, and this is a big if, it is as solid as it looks and the drivetrain is sound I would say top dollar would be $3500.

Start deducting if it has wiring problems, needs tranny or motor work, if the motor/tranny swap was a hack job, if there is rust through areas, etc.

Look closely at things that aren't original, such as the motor mounts and how the tranny is mounted. See if the original wiring harness was hacked into.

And follow Tapeworm's advice too. Look at the front cab mounts, cab corners, rockers, floor boards, etc. Take an ice pick or scratch awl and see if these areas are perforated.

That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I like the look as is. Clean it up and drive it!

Good luck, let us know how it work's out!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
halfcockedcustoms

1500-2000,,,IMO,,,,,closer to the 1500 range,,,
halfcockedcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Big Fenders

I agree with Lakeroadster...if its as good as it sounds $3500 . seems about right...check it out further...drive it,watch for shifts..brakes. If the price was a grand less, I wouldn't be that picky..
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I say 3K tops.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
heierlu

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. It is much appreciated. It's about 6 hours away from me, so I have to drive down there to look at it in person. The guy is asking $4000 for it. So according to your advice, he's asking a bit too much. I'll have to call him and see how firm he is on the price.

Is it common to put 350's in these trucks? Are there kits to make them fit, or is it usually custom? I'm worried about the swap being a hack job.

Last edited by heierlu; 10-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.
heierlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
chillware

Quote:
Originally Posted by heierlu View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. It is much appreciated. It's about 6 hours away from me, so I have to drive down there to look at it in person. The guy is asking $4000 for it. So according to your advice, he's asking a bit too much. I'll have to call him and see how firm he is on the price.

Is it common to put 350's in these trucks? Are there kits to make them fit, or is it usually custom? I'm worried about the swap being a hack job.
There is really no hacking a 350 in, it's just matter of using the correct motor mounts vs. the inline 6 mounts. everything else bolts right up.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
JRBECK64

Unless you paint it yourself your looking at for just material to paint it around $2K and has it been restored underneath? I would make an offer of $1500 because by time your done with it doing all the work yourself you will probably have at least 8K into it. I recently did my Sons 64 Shortwide and it was really nice to start with and that is about what I have in his. Unless he has paperwork to show that the engine has been rebuilt by a reputable Machinest you can bet that engine is not as good as it sounds. The TH350 are a fairly weak tranny and I went through 2 of them until I stepped up and put a TH400 in my Sons truck and haven't had any problems since. Im sure you will have other people tell you different but that is what happened to me so that is what I go on. I am now putting a 700R4 in my Sons Pickup to gain the benefits of the OverDrive. You might want to figure out what gears this truck has in the Diff because if they are 4.10/1 or even 3.73/1 ratio your not going to like it on the freeway. That is the main reason I am putting in a Overdrive Tranny in my Sons truck. It will rattle your teeth at 60MPH because it is reving so high. Here is a picture of my Sons truck completed. Again I had about $8K in it when it was done.

All of what I have said depends on what you want from your restoration and how far you want to go into restoring it. Because I restore these old trucks I find myself more apt to try to get them for less because I know what it takes to get them completed. Good Luck with your purchase.
JRBECK64

Last edited by JRBECK64; 10-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillware View Post
There is really no hacking a 350 in, it's just matter of using the correct motor mounts vs. the inline 6 mounts. everything else bolts right up.
You must have lived a charmed existence! I have seen home made motor mounts and tranny mounts that are truly scary!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
1/2Dozen

HEIERLU- if your looking for a truck for you and your Dad to build this might be somewhat close to you and you will be more money ahead. This was posted with a picture the other day http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...994959285.html He was asking $400 for the whole truck! Since then he changed it to parting out truck but will sell whole thing if interested without a selling price. He only had one picture and seemed to be too lazy to take more.

here's another http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...977193568.html

Not sure what you guys have in mind for a finished project but if the bodies are decent you could spend more of your money on suspension and patch panels. Just a thought
76 Airstream Sovereign

Last edited by 1/2Dozen; 10-19-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add second link
1/2Dozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by heierlu View Post

If the truck were around here, I'd say $3500 could maybe be fair. However, 6 hours away, I wouldn't pay quite that much.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 350, as long as there is not some obvious scary homemade stuff going on.
While everyone wants a healthy motor, I'd be more concerned with the overall condition of the truck.

Keep your eye on this message board (of course), the HAMB, ebay, Craigslist, ect, ect. When looking for parts, I seem to come accross alot of 60-63s from this area, both parts and complete trucks. Also, you'll usually pay more for a shortbox as well.

Last edited by tapeworm; 10-21-2010 at 11:43 PM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote