The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
'72_GMC

Overdrive

Has anybody seen a 3 on the tree w/Overdrive for one of these trucks? I have one, it needs a new overdrive cable and wiring harness, if somebody had one, I would buy a spare transmission too.
'72_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
1968CHEVYC10

Re: Overdrive

Don't know much about them, but I understand they were somewhat rare and not very durable (the overdrive part) but still highly sought after.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There are a few threads on this. One really good one that goes over a rebuild/restore of one. Unfortunately you are going to have to do a search. I have one of these set ups in a 69 parts truck. Someday Ill get around to taking it out. (how many times have I said someday lol)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
'72_GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
There are a few threads on this. One really good one that goes over a rebuild/restore of one. Unfortunately you are going to have to do a search. I have one of these set ups in a 69 parts truck. Someday Ill get around to taking it out. (how many times have I said someday lol)
How about I come up there and give U some $$$$, U are only an hour or so, I'll take it out and take it home, or just buy the whole truck? As U please.
'72_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
raycow

I have had nothing but total satisfaction from B-W overdrives ever since the early 1960s. Contrary to what some might care to believe, these units are extremely reliable and durable. Unless they are severely abused, mechanical failure is almost unknown. If you ever do have a problem it will almost always be electrical in nature and very easy to fix.

Unless you are doing a stock resto, you really need only a working solenoid and a toggle switch to engage the overdrive. If you want semi-automatic operation, you will need the governor and a cheap cube relay you can get at almost any parts store. The original throttle switch can be done away with. If you need a cable, a heavy duty choke or throttle cable from a truck supply will work fine. In an emergency you can even use a car type choke cable.

I really hate to see anyone miss out on the benefits the OD can provide, either because of misinformation or the lack of a few inexpensive parts.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 11-04-2010 at 01:00 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote