The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
camjck89

just want to get the thing running

Ok first and foremost , I'm not a huge fan of electrical work, however I'm going to try. My truck has sat for the last 6 months cause I've been slacking, and also cause it's been too blasted hot around here to do anything,no excuse I know. Nonetheless,after loosing the key I had another one cut, so I'm feeling a little motivated, and so to tackle getting the truck started. Whats keeping it from purring like a minx? Well nothing really, I had the quadrajet re-built, replaced motor mounts, new (used) set of tires, oh wait the HEI! So heres how it went down, other than adjusting the timing by ear on my old points setup I can't diagnose what I'm doing wrong, a friend of mine came over to help take the old out and put the new in. He is a lot smaller than my self and so he climbed up and disconnected my points setup, took very close watch on how the old came out and put the new one in (fyi it's a skip white hei) put the new one in and we called it a day, I was left to wire it (350) and so I checked on here on how to wire it, saw that the wires could be snipped from the starter and all that was needed was the 12v ign source. wired the dizzy to the 12v ign spade connector in the cab's fuse box. turned it over. and nothing. I don't know hardly jack *** about electrical wiring so if anyone has the heart to help me please give a good explanation of what you are talking about. Thank you guys so much,

This is on my list of things to get done in the next week, its good to have deadlines on projects
Thanks Cam

89 toyota 3" drop 22r 4spd 2wd
camjck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: just want to get the thing running

Ok, it should be connected to the "unfused " spade connector

Take your test light and make sure that you have power to that pin with the key on and then make sure that you have power at the other end of the wire going to the distributor.

The wire needs to be connected to the BAT connector on the distributor and not the tach pin in the middle. Make sure that both female connectors are tight on the pins as I have had trouble with mine coming loose due to less than steller wire connectors I think.

You might also check to make sure that the carbon and spring are in the cap. You do have the connector from the distributor to the cap connected? No need to know why I asked that one.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
BardonRedDeath

wow i think i can finally be of help here! yay! i just put one of these in and had the same problem......... let me guess you hooked up the ground wire! dont, unhook that try firing it over.... had my dad laughing so hard that that was the problem. gl hope i am right!
BardonRedDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
camjck89

update: checked the unfused pin in the fusebox and it has power re-wired a power line of 10g. through the firewall, and checked and made sure the pickup was plugged in the correct way plugged in the power wire went to start and no start up. i figured i might be out of gas (unfortunatly i lost the gas key when i lost the ign key) so just to test it the dizzy was working i sprayed in some carb cleaner in the carburetor thinking that at least ill know if its trying to work. i guess i made a mistake. cause next time i went to start the truck it turned over halfway and then gave out a terrible noise as if there was some metal contact. im at a loss dont know whats going on. please help. going to try and work on it later today

Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
camjck89

anyone?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

Well, unless it ate a foreign object it may be out of time.

You might want to pull all of the plugs and see if any have bent or broken electrodes from hitting something.

With the plugs out try cranking it over by hand with a socket on the damper bolt an a long ratchet or breaker bar. If you bump against something turn it back the other way to see if it stops again. If it does, you will have to pull the heads and see what dropped down the carb/intake.

If it turns over by hand without any issues, put all but number 1 plug back in.

Then have a helper bump it over while you hold your finger over #1 spark plug hole. It make several tries before you get it up on tdc with the mark on the damper on 0 on the timing tag. Then check to make sure that the rotor is pointing exactly at #1 on the cap.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
JDL

was it a metal noise or a big bang? was it set all the way down.
Agency Iowa
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
camjck89

i went to crank it and it would turn over but it seemed to get to a certain cylinder it made a grinding noise as if your trying to go in to 1st gear at 45 mph. so it was more of a metal noise than a boom

Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
JDL

Chek the teeth on the flywheel and the starter.
Agency Iowa
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
camjck89

ok so my supervisor(great guy) at work is coming over on friday after we get off work and were going to see what we can do to get my truck running. hopefully its just really out of time/timing. wish me luck

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
travisfraughton

good luck
travisfraughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
camjck89

thanks for the wishes of good luck, they helped cause SHE LIVES we got over to my friends house that the truck was staying at and completely reset the timing and got her to run then tuned my quadrajet enough to run real nice. took her around the block and with the hei she runs like a dream. untill you stomp on the gas she isnt that fine tuned yet kinda bogs a little. but still enough to get her inspected and insurance and tags. so im on cloud nine!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Ronnny

Wtg. I was surprised at how much of a difference just adding a hei made in performace and gas mileage. enough to notice. Then for me to change the fluid and filter in my tranny made a even more of a difference. When i get headers and new plug wires i will be doing great. Did you regap your plugs when you put in your hei or leave them how they were?
Ronnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
camjck89

the gaps are opened since the hei. i gaped them to .o45 when i originally put the hei (when i diddnt have a clue to get it running) and now with it tuned and all it runs great, like a new truck actually