The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
memphisrain

Newbie - from 'da U.P. eh!

Hi all!

I just recently picked up a 1969 lwb C10 and have been doing a bit of research on your site here, and thought I should stop in and introduce myself.

Here is a pic of the new acquisition:

It's got a 307 and a 3 speed. It runs and drives excellent, save for a bad clutch. It's got a decent amount of rust on it, and someone (was told a preacher man) tried to do some body work on it, but did a really poor job. So I'll cut that out and start over. Good news is the repair panels are there, and I should be able to reuse them. The best news? I traded it for a F150 which I paid $100 for

Now I'll have to admit, I'm mainly a Ford guy and this is my first Chevy pickup, but I'm no stranger to the brand. My family members have several classic cars I've helped with. However, I've always like this body style, and the deal came up, so I'm going with it.

The plan is to keep this a running/driving project. I'm probably going to go ahead and drop a 5-speed in it since it needs a clutch. I'll lower it, statically at first, and possibly with airbags later. Thinking about 20" Dodge spare wheels, but my look for a wider stock wheel that I can still use the stock center caps on. I'll get the body work straightened around, but probably won't take it off the frame. I'll add some performance mods to the motor: 305 heads, headers, intake, carb and a mild cam. The ultimate goal is a budget pro-touring truck that I can drive cross country reliably and with reasonable fuel economy.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. Nice to meet you all, and I look forward to sharing some tips and tricks.

mR
memphisrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Newbie - from 'da U.P. eh!

I moved this over to the 67-72 message area for you. I know its your welcome post.. but you will get a bunch more response over here welcome to the site
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
memphisrain

Thanks Liz

mR
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Danny Bost

Welcome to the site and to the brand. My DD is F***d, but my toy is a 71 Chevy. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people on here. They can be a great resource for the build. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
RCbowtie69

hey from N.C.,nice trade,looking good, keep on truckin''
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
john
member #16

to the board, looking forward to more pics.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
70shortfleet

Welcome, from St. Louis, MO of coarse it's got a fair amount of rust, look at all that snow and salt up there!
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Welcome! From Tn!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
tonypaul

Whats all that white stuff on the ground?
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
jondancer

its michigan, we have snow on the ground right now
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
swamp rat

Welcome from Washington, I have been to the U.P for a visit and went across the mackinac bridge, pretty awesome views!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
memphisrain

Thanks guys. Yeah, we get a little bit of snow up here. Last year was a low year at about 200" The year before that was almost a record breaker, right at 300"

Unfortunately they seem to like to keep the snow to salt ratio about 1:1 so vehicles don't stand a chance up here. I wish they would go back to using just sand, but apparently the state would rather spend money on the salination the Great Lakes.

However, this one supposedly sat in the basement of a church for 20 years, being used as the grounds truck, I imagine. I was under it last night for the first time really checking it out and really the only rust is in the rockers, cab corners, and door bottoms. Everything else looks really nice considering it's spent its whole life up here.

mR

Last edited by memphisrain; 12-02-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

from your sister state and the Heart of Arkansas!

So, you're a youper, ehh?

Looks like a nice score, considering the overall condition. I've seen vehicles from the rust belt, and yours definately is a survivor of the first order of magnitude. I started life with a Ford, and stood in the back seat of that '38 as dad drove it. He said I could name the cars behind us, when I was 3. I have a vague memory of standing up, looking out that split window. That would have been in '50. Then, my first street ride was a '54, that was nosed, decked and sporting a set of 4-bar Lancers, Double-Eagle portawalls, twin Smitty's, a bar grille and Olds bullet tail lights. I loved that car. Fast forward 46 years and I'm driving a '96 GMC while my dislexic ('69) C-10 is in paint hell. It's lowered statically (Early Classic Enterprises) 2.5/4.0, with their disc conversion. I recommend you consider ECE, when you start looking for lowering components. Their customer service is No.1. They'll answer your questions, even if you've never bought from them.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
tonypaul

Ahh- Snow... I have heard of that....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
memphisrain

I always like showing this picture to people. It is from our first winter here 3 years ago now we were about halfway through the snow season in this picture. I'm 6'-7" for reference...

Notice the street sign in relation to the height of the snow on this one

ChevLoRay,

I am planning on using their components to do the drop. I already have a set of TJ springs in addition to using 2" blocks for the rear. I'll use a ECE's 3" coils for the front for the time being, and then later add dropped spindles and 5" springs in the rear or air bags.

mR

Last edited by memphisrain; 12-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
1971 K10 shortbox

I can back you up on the snow memphisrain. Me and a bunch of buddies used to rent a house right in Calumet, during snowmobile season. Some of the best riding I have ever done was between Hancock and copper harbor.
The first time we rentend the place we were ther for two day before we realized the was a garage behind the house, because the snow was so deep.
W also stoped over in Gay, Michigan at the "GAY" bar. Not realy a gay bar but name so because the towns name is Gay.

Welcome to the board.
1971 K10 shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
memphisrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971 K10 shortbox View Post
I can back you up on the snow memphisrain. Me and a bunch of buddies used to rent a house right in Calumet, during snowmobile season. Some of the best riding I have ever done was between Hancock and copper harbor.
The first time we rentend the place we were ther for two day before we realized the was a garage behind the house, because the snow was so deep.
W also stoped over in Gay, Michigan at the "GAY" bar. Not realy a gay bar but name so because the towns name is Gay.

Welcome to the board.
Yeah the Gay Bar is a popular stop for tourists. They've really had a lot of fun with it, including naming their footlong chili dog the "home-wrecker" as well as my favorite, and their most popular selling t-shirt that states "Let us push your stool in, at the Gay Bar."
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
dan76

Great looking truck..........I lived in the Soo for a couple of winters. If I could find a reasonable job in the area I'd return. Great memories. There's no need to join a fitness club as I kept a three car driveway clear to the concrete with just a shovel....couldn't afford a snow blower.

If you're intending to drive the truck during winter months, might want to reconsider lowering. Most times when I was stuck, the vehicle rode over the snow and raised the wheels off the ground.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Good looking ride! Welcome to the site!
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
memphisrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
Great looking truck..........I lived in the Soo for a couple of winters. If I could find a reasonable job in the area I'd return. Great memories. There's no need to join a fitness club as I kept a three car driveway clear to the concrete with just a shovel....couldn't afford a snow blower.

If you're intending to drive the truck during winter months, might want to reconsider lowering. Most times when I was stuck, the vehicle rode over the snow and raised the wheels off the ground.
Yeah finding work up here seems to be the biggest problem with the area. My wife and I have been lucky so far.

This will only be a summer driver. I'm not doing all the body work only to have the salt eat it away again.

Jake
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Does your truck have leaf springs in the rear, or coils? Based on your comment, it's leaf springs since you said something about using 2-inch blocks.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
memphisrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Does your truck have leaf springs in the rear, or coils? Based on your comment, it's leaf springs since you said something about using 2-inch blocks.
No it has coil springs. I've been reading on here about people using coils form a TJ jeep and 2x2 blocks in order to get ~ 5" drop in the rear. Those in addition to a set of 3" coils from ECE, should be a pretty economical way to achieve a decent drop while maintaining decent driving characteristics.

mR
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisrain View Post
Yeah the Gay Bar is a popular stop for tourists. They've really had a lot of fun with it, including naming their footlong chili dog the "home-wrecker" as well as my favorite, and their most popular selling t-shirt that states "Let us push your stool in, at the Gay Bar."
LOL! Never been to the "Gay" bar but i have been to "Hell" and back and i did get off on Big Beaver Rd exit 69 a couple of times too, as in most michigan roads it was a bouncy ride!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 12-03-2010 at 07:45 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
mikeoj

Welcome from WI.
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote