The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
hugger6933

Speedminder questions

I have a 68 gmc that came with the speedminder dash. It has no gauges. I have since put in a tac/vac dash that I had bought for the70 chevy truck that is on the back burner for now. I also have another tac/vac dash that needs to be freshened up a little and after I got it I bought a new bezel and face plate for it. My question is how hard is going to beto put the speed minder speedo head in the tac/vac dash? I was told you could just change the tins but that can't happen with mine cause it was only a 3 gauge set up any help? thanks Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Speedminder questions

The head will swap right over. It is the insulated peg in the tin that gives the trouble. I am sure it can be done, but not sure how easy. If you don't care if it works, just swap it over and drill 2 holes i think is it...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Speedminder questions

I don't think the speed o meter will change the dash at all except for the hole you drill for the front knob to adjust the needle. I did mine several years ago and I think thats all I had to do.
If I'm not mistaken the only time the back side is changed is to add a Tach to a non tach dash.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
hugger6933

From the looks it looks like I can drill a hole in the back side of the speedo tin and one in the bezel. It just can't be that simple can it? Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

Yes it can! I have done what you are talking about. All you need is to drill a hole that is just big enough for a connector to go thru-I used a male round connector and then slip the speedminder connecter wire(white or could be red, the one that clips on the inside of the tin) together. I used a little RTV to keep it all in place so it would not chafe. On the face plate, just look and measure where the orginal one was on the donor face plates and drill it. I have two now, one with speed minder/tach/air pressure and 80lb oil gauge and the other is a speed minder/tach/ and maybe a clock-it's not done yet. Do you have the buzzer already? Good luck-wish I knew an easy way to transfer those plugs-Steve
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
hugger6933

Yes, I have the buzzer and the wiring to it.Jim
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Speedminder questions

That's correct the back side has the connector that needs to be insulated which you could use a small rubber o-ring or some kind of gasket material. But it's not hard or use what is on the orignal one as it is now.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by into69z View Post
Yes it can! I have done what you are talking about. All you need is to drill a hole that is just big enough for a connector to go thru-I used a male round connector and then slip the speedminder connecter wire(white or could be red, the one that clips on the inside of the tin) together. I used a little RTV to keep it all in place so it would not chafe. On the face plate, just look and measure where the orginal one was on the donor face plates and drill it. I have two now, one with speed minder/tach/air pressure and 80lb oil gauge and the other is a speed minder/tach/ and maybe a clock-it's not done yet. Do you have the buzzer already? Good luck-wish I knew an easy way to transfer those plugs-Steve
doing the wiring this way will work fine. now here's some food for thought. i put a speedwarning head in my 72 cheyenne super and used the spot on the bezel under the headlight switch opening, drilled it big enough for the nut assembly to fit and used a windshield wiper knob instead of the stock little knob. i used tin snips to trim the metal dash so the cable would slide though.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote