The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
tonypaul

Rebuilding the steering box..

As soon as I swaped in the 7.4l Vortec in my truck my steering box started leaking. I kinda have a theory but not sure- I used the powersteering pump from the 7.4l motor which was had a hydroboost setup. I have read that the hydroboost powersteering pumps have more pressure and thats what caused the leak...
But on the flip side- I did just swap in the front suspension clip from a 1979 5/8's ton truck with included this steering box, it could have had the leak before..

So does the powersteering pump from a hydroboost system have more pressure?

It only leaks when I shut it off, but it leaks alot out. I have never rebuilt a steering box before, are they pretty simple? And if I did rebuild it- replace a seal or whatever is causing it to leak.... will it leak again because of the powersteering pump????
Thanks----
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
tonypaul

Re: Rebuilding the steering box..

Just wanted to bump this up one more time... I dont want this be the first thing that I couldnt find a answer to on this site....
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

They are not hard to put seals in. If it needs a comeplete o-haul I just get a reman. Find out which seal is leaking. It could be the upper, called the worm shaft seal or the lower called the sector shaft seal. The seals are available separatly or a complete kit. Get a service manual or let us know which one you want to replace & someone on the website will give blow by blow directions.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
They are not hard to put seals in. If it needs a comeplete o-haul I just get a reman. Find out which seal is leaking. It could be the upper, called the worm shaft seal or the lower called the sector shaft seal. The seals are available separatly or a complete kit. Get a service manual or let us know which one you want to replace & someone on the website will give blow by blow directions.
Near as I can tell its the rear seal. But what Im mainly worried about is if I put new seals in it will it start leaking again because of the supposed higher pressure of the hydroboost powersteering pump.. Or is the higher pressure not something to worry about?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

The higher pressure (if it actually is) will not hurt it. GM built millions with Hydroboost & PS. The only time the pump reaches max pressure is when you turn hard to one side against the stops, which you shouldn't do. Thats why it labors, slows down the engine & squeals the belt.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The higher pressure (if it actually is) will not hurt it. GM built millions with Hydroboost & PS. The only time the pump reaches max pressure is when you turn hard to one side against the stops, which you shouldn't do. Thats why it labors, slows down the engine & squeals the belt.
Thanks that what I was thinking.... Time to rebuiild the steering box- yuck!