The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #1

Ca truck out of DMV computer

I have a newly acquired 68 that is out of DMVs computer. Might I need any advice before setting foot into that god forsaken building? I want to be prepared. I was told it will need to be inspected by a 'friend of a friend'. I tried calling my local office. Its a generic 1-800 number with pre-recorded 'selections'. I want to be prepared.

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 01-24-2011 at 12:44 AM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Ca truck out of DMV computer

How do you know if it is out of the computer? Have you verified this, or did the previous owner tell you this? Back fees can add up to more than the value of the truck sometimes. Unfortunately, you will have to visit that godforsaken building to find out. If it is out of the computer, it is not a whole lot of $$ to register it...you will probably need an inspection to verify the VIN either by the DMV there or the CHP. Good luck!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

Zepp, I ran the VIN through the online 'fee calculator', VIN was not found.
Thanks for the the info. I'm making the appointment this week.
Would you recommend throwing the 307 and the 4 speed back in for inspection?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
67chevy1series

if you want you can but i dont think you need to
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

I had a guy come to my house to inspect mine..cost a little more...but no headaches...he does all the paperwork.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #6

That sounds very tempting.......
Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
etg

Stop and listen.

IF the vin is ran at the dmv, the inquiry is registered as a transaction. A vehicle is only out of the system after 5 years without a single transaction. I purchased my truck under the belief that it would be out for over 5 years, but it turns out the previous owner went in to pay off his late/no registration fees, which reset the time. So I had 2 years, not 5, of time out of the system since then, but because I checked it reset, so I would have to wait until about 2015 to not pay anything but new license fees.

When you purchase an old vehicle in CA with back registration fees due you are not responsible for the back registration fees. There is a clause in the DMV code in our favor that is meant to keep the restoration of state vehicles alive. It states that if a vehicle is submitted for registration by a new owner, they must only pay the current years registration due provided that a registration/transfer of title is done within 20 days or a reasonable period of time.

So I took my trucks info to get registered. They told me there had been 2 years left before it was out of the system, then it reset, so I'd have to pay the back fees or wait 5 years from that day. They gave me a $700 bill. I payed 400 and went home to do research. I found a bunch of stuff, I'll dig up my notes for you. I went to another dmv and said hey, this says I don't have to pay back dues because it's a special interest vehicle that I am registering for the first time. They said that is true, and you wouldn't have to pay anything, except you didn't non op or submit a transfer of title until 2 years after date of the sale. They also said the other dmv had made a mistake and I owed 389 dollars, so I got an 11 dollar refund. I plead my case that 2 years was a reasonable period of time, since these trucks take a while to get built, she said no, she would have been lenient to 1 year max, but I can apply for a refund with the state.

Moral of the story: if you just purchased a vehicle 25 years or older it qualifies as a special interest vehicle, which means you don't pay any back registration, only current registration and transfer fees, assuming you do it within 20 days of purchase, or a reasonable amount of time.
etg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
etg

Do some research in the CA vehicle code. Here is a list of relevant sections. Semantics are crucial. If when you go in they tell you you would have to apply for historical vehicle plates say no, this is a special interest vehicle not a vehicle of historical interest.

Start by reading ca vc 4604, and find that our vehicles are exempt from standard registration rules via 4604 section D rule 3, specifically a vehicle described in ca vc 5051.

Which means that we are eligible for stipulations 4604, c, 1 and 2, which say we don't have to pay back dues.

ca vc 5050 is a statement in our favor, reading basically that rebuilding cars is favorable.

ca vc 5051 is a list of definitions of vehicles, you will find 5051 B includes our vehicles as vehicles "of age" (older than 25), which because they are out of production, or restored or maintained by hobbyists. Here is the most crucial part of all this. 5051 b states that the vehicle must be unaltered from the manufacturers original specifications. This is tricky language that can mean either nothing has been changed, or nothing has been altered through after market parts, most of the time dmv employees won't even catch this, if they do say here is the manual, check my truck.

ca vc 5052 is protection from harassing neighbors, stipulating the allowance and requirements of having and working on a vehicle on your property.

Please make sure you read all of it, and fully understand it before you go to the DMV. Most likely the manager you will end up speaking with is going to be hesitant and will never have read these rules. Make sure you guide them through it all nicely and accurately, proving to them you don't have to pay back fees, just don't take no for an answer. There were plenty of times they said "you're wrong here, go away" and I'd fire back "no, this is the wording indicates such and such". I only had to pay because I was trying to go around the system and get my truck out of the database.

Oh well, I like to think it just means I payed 400 bucks for registration and black plates.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
sleepertruck72

The DMV does not care what engine is in it, they care to see the VIN plate matches the paperwork you have. They really want to know that it is not a 3/4 ton being passed as a 1/2 ton to avoid the weight fees. You should be able to trailer it in to have the VIN inspected/verified by DMV/CHP. Good luck
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Tmend

Give me your vin# and I will let you know if it's in the system and if so how much you will owe if you want. My wife works at the DMV and it takes 10 years if not more for your truck or car to be out of the system. If the truck was not reg under none opp and is still under the system the new owner take on all new fees. Yea it sucks.. And if it is out of the system the DMV will do a vin check there not all do it tho also no late fees will be charged to yo if it is out of the system. Make surne the frame and cab are matching vins they might check the frame not always tho. Motor and trans doesn't matter. Best of luck.. Pm me the vin# if you would like me to check for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etg View Post
Do some research in the CA vehicle code. Here is a list of relevant sections. Semantics are crucial. If when you go in they tell you you would have to apply for historical vehicle plates say no, this is a special interest vehicle not a vehicle of historical interest.

Start by reading ca vc 4604, and find that our vehicles are exempt from standard registration rules via 4604 section D rule 3, specifically a vehicle described in ca vc 5051.

Which means that we are eligible for stipulations 4604, c, 1 and 2, which say we don't have to pay back dues.

ca vc 5050 is a statement in our favor, reading basically that rebuilding cars is favorable.

ca vc 5051 is a list of definitions of vehicles, you will find 5051 B includes our vehicles as vehicles "of age" (older than 25), which because they are out of production, or restored or maintained by hobbyists. Here is the most crucial part of all this. 5051 b states that the vehicle must be unaltered from the manufacturers original specifications. This is tricky language that can mean either nothing has been changed, or nothing has been altered through after market parts, most of the time dmv employees won't even catch this, if they do say here is the manual, check my truck.

ca vc 5052 is protection from harassing neighbors, stipulating the allowance and requirements of having and working on a vehicle on your property.

Please make sure you read all of it, and fully understand it before you go to the DMV. Most likely the manager you will end up speaking with is going to be hesitant and will never have read these rules. Make sure you guide them through it all nicely and accurately, proving to them you don't have to pay back fees, just don't take no for an answer. There were plenty of times they said "you're wrong here, go away" and I'd fire back "no, this is the wording indicates such and such". I only had to pay because I was trying to go around the system and get my truck out of the database.

Oh well, I like to think it just means I payed 400 bucks for registration and black plates.

Good luck.
Thanks for the great info. Ill pass on what I find out etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmend View Post
Give me your vin# and I will let you know if it's in the system and if so how much you will owe if you want. My wife works at the DMV and it takes 10 years if not more for your truck or car to be out of the system. If the truck was not reg under none opp and is still under the system the new owner take on all new fees. Yea it sucks.. And if it is out of the system the DMV will do a vin check there not all do it tho also no late fees will be charged to yo if it is out of the system. Make surne the frame and cab are matching vins they might check the frame not always tho. Motor and trans doesn't matter. Best of luck.. Pm me the vin# if you would like me to check for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
PM sent...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I would follow his advice.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
etg

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Not necessarily. Print my post for your wife if you can, have her verify the info. Could be saving fellow hobbyist's tons of money.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
406 Q-ship

If the truck is out of the system, you'll need a VIN verication (DMV, AAA, CHP, or a lic. VIN verifier), a weight certificate (get it weight at a state OKed weight station) and then you pay transfer fees along with yearly registration. Forget the DMV and pay for a AAA membership so you can get it done there, no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.

I had to do all of the above to bring my 67 in from Nevada, all done at AAA in one afternoon rather than the idiots at DMV.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Last edited by 406 Q-ship; 01-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

love my small town DMV no longer than a ten minute wait and they KNOW their stuff most of the time. WEAVERVILLE California.
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19stepSide72 View Post
love my small town DMV no longer than a ten minute wait and they KNOW their stuff most of the time. WEAVERVILLE California.
Problem is that DMV has state employees.......

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

should not be a problem. You will need to get Vin verified by local police, and then you will be able to register it.

Out of the system is a good thing, just verifify Vin, and register and drive. Honestly, I would not go to DMV until the truck is done and running.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
MrDude_1

whoa. non-op registration? back-fees? once more, i am glad i dont live in cali. LOL.

how the hell do they justify you owing them money for possessing a vehicle that is not being operated on public roads?
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
68 IRON

Cal is broke......nuff said!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #21
Tmend

Yup were broke here in Cali and yet all is more expensive here I just don't get it.. I see what some of the other members pay for stuff and it makes me jealous.. BUT I LOVE OUR WEATHER!!!!!....just pay to much for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Tmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #22

Truck is in fact out of dmv puter. That's good unews....
On a side note, unfortunately many states follow Californias lead. Stay active in your local government!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
If the truck is out of the system, you'll need a VIN verication (DMV, AAA, CHP, or a lic. VIN verifier), a weight certificate (get it weight at a state OKed weight station) and then you pay transfer fees along with yearly registration. Forget the DMV and pay for a AAA membership so you can get it done there, no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.

I had to do all of the above to bring my 67 in from Nevada, all done at AAA in one afternoon rather than the idiots at DMV.
Exactly...My Vin verifying guy...even did the process for YOM plates on mine as well...no waiting in the torture chamber...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #24
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
whoa. non-op registration? back-fees? once more, i am glad i dont live in cali. LOL.

how the hell do they justify you owing them money for possessing a vehicle that is not being operated on public roads?
When you plan to not operate a vehicle on public roads, in lieu of registration, you pay a one time fee of $10 (non-operation) and the vehicle can sit for an indefinite time period, basically "suspended" in the system. If you just blow off renewing your registration for years, the DMV assumes you are delinquent and late fees/back fees start piling up. To re-register a vehicle that has been placed on "non-op" you simply pay the current registration fee and go, no hassles. A lot of people selling vehicles here are too lazy and/or stupid to pay the $10 to do this in the beginning so they try to pawn off their vehicles on someone who is unaware of this.

I am glad I live in Cali...it was 82 degrees here today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 IRON View Post
Cal is broke......nuff said!
The state might be broke, but a lot of it's residents aren't

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #25
Jeffs70

ok I am probably asking a stupid question but. I have a truck I am going to be putting out there for sale soon, It has not been licensed from the PO since 99. I wanted to see if their was a place online I could check out the info with the VIN# anyone know of anything like this
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote