The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
71swb4x4

Re: My truck took a hit

That's a nasty hit. What does the other car look like?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Jeffs70

sorry to hear about the hit, hope all gets settled where you are happy. and yes I agree with cheyenne shortstep If you are able to put the truck in your garage or in a shop some place. do not let an adjuster look at it with out you being there. and everyone has given some great advise for sure. I would also Detail it too.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
weircc

you need a quick appraisal at say 20,000 or so dont let them get you thats what we pay this over rated crap for
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
bosco200

Dang if your truck looks like that I cant imagine what it did to his car......what kind of car was he driving....how did it happen?
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Ronnny

In the atlanta ga craigslist there was a long bed in nice shape that had ben rhino lined for 300 that looked nice in the pictures. Think the local area was newnan.
Ronnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
tjvending

I couldn't locate it, any help? TJ
tjvending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
steelscout
Words under my name

I hope its THIER insurance that is going to pay to fix your truck, and I hope they give you fair value so your not left feeling violated.

Last edited by steelscout; 02-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
hjewell2

Hold on still wiping the tears from my eyes, it makes me sick to see this happen.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

hope things work out well for you.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Pro Metal Shop

Hi TJ
All the tips previously written are great tips. Let me add some things I would like to have you keep in mind. Not all estimates work out to your advantage , however your insurance companies job is to sue his insurance company. I say that so you will keep your company involved.. When approached by there adjuster tell him before any repairs are made you will have a third party estimate the entire damage. Only because you want your truck put back to pre-damage condition with the original type , kind . like and quality parts before there client hit your truck.
Your (attorney) suggest that you also seek out a shop with classic car and truck experience. MENTION ATTORNEY and if things start to go some what sour you can call the insurance commissioner that you feel you are being treated unfairly.
They have to know you are educated in gaining your own ground and ready to take control of all aspects of the good repair you deserve.
They may find a percentage of fault for your truck just being parked there however remind them there client that THEY insure fled the seen and other action will be pursued, and they are going to be smack dab in the middle of it.
Get a classic car or truck shop that will do your estimate of repair.....
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Clutch442

Very sorry about your truck! I hope all works out well for you. Looks like there has been plenty of good advice already given. Please keep us posted.
Clutch442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
78bronzechariot

I was through this with my '78 Caprice about five years ago. (my first car, and I still have it) Took three months of fighting to get a reasonable offer out of the at fault driver's insurance. A high school girl didn't yield at an intersection in my case. Anyway, all of the above advise is very sound. I made sure that I would be present when the adjuster came to see my car, I got an appraisal for what the car would have been worth pre-accident, and the only wanted to give $1500. I called the state insurance commissioner's office and immediately got a call from someone in higher management who apologized and claimed the adjuster had looked my vehicle up as a nova. I ended up getting $4000 dollars plus an extra $500 for wasting my time, even getting that much, the car was totaled and I had to fix it myself. As for it getting "totaled", read up on your state's vehicle code. Here in Illinois, if the vehicle is over 9 years old, you can "buy " your vehicle back from the insurance company for its salvage value but the car will still have a clear title (that's how I could fix my car). Some states will make you get a salvage title and may require an inspection or worse a licensed "re-builder" to give it a rebuilt title in order to register it again.

P.S. I know its not a truck, but everyone here loves pictures.... Before, after, and repaired.
Attached Images

78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronzechariot View Post
I was through this with my '78 Caprice about five years ago. (my first car, and I still have it) Took three months of fighting to get a reasonable offer out of the at fault driver's insurance. A high school girl didn't yield at an intersection in my case. Anyway, all of the above advise is very sound. I made sure that I would be present when the adjuster came to see my car, I got an appraisal for what the car would have been worth pre-accident, and the only wanted to give $1500. I called the state insurance commissioner's office and immediately got a call from someone in higher management who apologized and claimed the adjuster had looked my vehicle up as a nova. I ended up getting $4000 dollars plus an extra $500 for wasting my time, even getting that much, the car was totaled and I had to fix it myself. As for it getting "totaled", read up on your state's vehicle code. Here in Illinois, if the vehicle is over 9 years old, you can "buy " your vehicle back from the insurance company for its salvage value but the car will still have a clear title (that's how I could fix my car). Some states will make you get a salvage title and may require an inspection or worse a licensed "re-builder" to give it a rebuilt title in order to register it again.

P.S. I know its not a truck, but everyone here loves pictures.... Before, after, and repaired.
No to jack this thread, but i LOVE that caprice!!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
MAK191

I used to work daily with insurance adjusters. Keep in mind that it is usually best to be cordial with them, no need to be in attack mode (yet). I have seen adjusters make or brake a repair/total loss. Also once you agree to a value on the truck, if they want to total it out, don't. Take the max amount they will give without them declaring it a total loss and giving it a salvage title.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
72 Super

Sorry to hear about your truck, hope your insurance will cover it. Where are you in Rockville? I use to live in Aspren Hill off Georgia Ave.

Ray
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
tjvending

About 5 miles away from Apsen Hill
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
tjvending

Here's a picture of the other vehicle, its a messName:  HPIM0173.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  92.7 KB
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
71swb4x4

Wow!!! They drove away??? I bet it didn't take long to find them...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
custom1970

I had someone with Progressive hit my day to day driver a couple of years ago. All and all they were easy to work with. Here's how the process went:

1. They sent out their adjustor, i was not given his repair estimate.
2. The adjuster agreed, with no questions, that the vehicle be returned to prior condition or better
3. They gave a list of shops to use, i found one with a good history and used them
4. during repairs, i was allowed to check on progress of repairs
5. After repairs were finished i was asked to inspect my truck, i found a few item i didn't like and they repaired them
6. the check for repairs was in my name and the shops, so the shop could not get paid until i also signed the check.
7. Also i was given a rental car the entire time

- also, you can use your own shop, but if you do they wouldn't (or will fight) paying for any unforseen repairs, nor will progressive stand behind the shops work. By using one of their approved shops, you will also get a lifetime warrenty on the work. Like i said, i shop they offered me was a well known local shop, and they did a very good job.

hope this helps,
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
treveiger

I told my insurance its worth 10,000 when i bought it, so if something happends i sure hope thats what i get out of it. I have full coverage though.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Ronnny

I will keep an eye out for the bed again. It must of fell off the bottom of the list since i had saw it was on there for quite awhile. Will keep looking to see if it gets reposted. I will also look on a few other local classifieds to see is posted there.
Ronnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
tjvending

Do you think the Insurance will cover a replacement Bed or just the panel and Tailgate? TJ
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #23
treveiger

Who knows, they can be pretty cheap when it comes to things. One way to find out.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #24
custom1970

If you can justify a reason as to why you need a new bed then i think they would replace it. If you could locate a good used bed and give the adjuster the info, i'd say it would help your chances. Do your homework before the adjuster arrives, if he knows what your knowledgable and what your expecting, and you can prove that the replacement cost of your truck is more than repair costs than you shouldn't have a problem. Like i said, i was happy with them.
**Also, when everything is over progressive will ask you to rate the service of the adjuster, he'll be very concerned about this and will do extra to get a good review from you. (i felt his pay must be related to the review somehow) hope this helps
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
tjvending

OK first round with the adjuster. He stated in Maryland if the vehicle is more than 75% of value damage, it becomes total. He started picking some of the bad area's to the truck as in rust and other bad things to bring the value down. He stated the bed panel is about $1300.00 to replace, tailgate could be fix's and the Cab could be repaired. His example would be if the truck has a value of 4,000, I would get 3,000 and get to keep the truck. If the damage is more, I would get that value but they would keep the truck. I told him to keep it within the 75 % damaged area. Would not know his value until the end of the day or Monday. Fair or not fair, comments?

Last edited by tjvending; 02-11-2011 at 12:43 PM.