The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Carb rebuild

Hi Guys:
I am trying to rebuild my edlebrock 1406 for the first time. I just wanted to change the jets and gaskets but I came across a problem/question. While I was removing the float to change the gaskect on the top end, the needle under one of the float dropped out. I found it, cleaned it and put it back. When I put the new gaskets and floats back, I noticed the other float doesn't have the needl either. I really don't think I dropped anything else, and I can't find any other needle. I looked at a rebuild kit that I have, That also has only one needle in it but when I look at the manual, the picture suggest each float should have a needle under each float. So, the question (finally!!) is: does each float has one needle?! if yes, why the rebuild kit just has one? Does these needle have different sizes or can I just use the one in the rebuild kit instead of the one which is missing?
Sorry about the long story. Thanks
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Carb rebuild

There must be a needle valve under each float or gas will run everywhere. I'm wondering if the needle in the kit you see is for the pump discharge check valve. It is solid brass. The needles for the float are probably with the seats in the kit. They will have a rubber tip. Every kit comes with new needles & seats.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
dadsworktruck

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...406_manual.pdf
dadsworktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would upgrade the neadle and seat to the offroad verson. It is spring loaded and the fuel pressure of a stock pump will no longer be too much. P/N1465
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote