The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
67_70ChevTrk

350 SBC won't Start

I have a 70 c10 chevy 2wd truck. Original factory 350 small block. The starter, alternator, battery all been checked and fine. Even replaced the transmission safety switch (on the column). Won't turn over or anything. All the lights in the dash come one but that's it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
67_70ChevTrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
1low

Re: 350 SBC won't Start

better check the ignition next and grounds
1low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
dmack91

Starter solenoid working and hooked up correctly?

Have you done any work on it recently that could have affected something in the circuit?
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
406 Q-ship

Use a test light to see if the start wire is getting current to the saftey switch when the key is turned to start position. You probably have an ignition switch that has failed and this test will show that. If you get current on the ignition switch side of the neutral safety then check for current going out of the neutral safety (new does not mean working). If you don't get current out of the neutral safety, the neutral safety might be out of adjustment. If current goes through the neutral safety then someone has to crawl under the truck and use a test light on the start termnal on the starter to see if current is getting to the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If it is not getting there, then the wire from the neutral to the starter is broken somewhere. If it is getting current then it is a starter soleniod issue. Hope that helps.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Frkypunk70

This may sound strange. I had a similar problem, after checking everything turned out there was a little play in the gear selector. Try holding the gear selector up then turn the key.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
gferris5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
This may sound strange. I had a similar problem, after checking everything turned out there was a little play in the gear selector. Try holding the gear selector up then turn the key.
My truck is having the same gimmick--Is this due to slop in the neutral safety switch? Anyone know?

Mine appears to have gone from gimmicky to completely dead and I'm thinking that this is just an extension of the same problem, but worse...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The best thing to do is eliminate the starter and solenoid from the equasion . To do this just jump from the positive battery cable on the solenoid to the small S terminal on the solenoid with a flat blade screw driver. This bypasses the purple wire, the NSS and the key switch. Do it with the truck in park and the coil wire pulled. You don't want it to start and take off on you. If the starter doesn't work then the solenoid is bad. If it works then it's not getting power to the S terminal through the purple wire.

The next step is to apply power to the starter side of the purple wire at the NSS. It's basically the same as the flat blade screwdriver. If the starter doesn't work then there's a break in the purple wire to the starter. It goes through the firewall block and may not be making connection there with the other side of the harness. If jumping it works then the next step is the NSS. Just bypass that by connecting the two ends of the purple wire together and use the key switch. If it works then the NSS is the culprit, If it doesn't then the key switch is bad.
If the key starts the truck with the NSS jumped then check to see if the back-up light wires ( light green) and the starter wires are hooked to the correct terminals. I'm Not sure if it's possible to swap them I'll have to check. The terminal connectors are different so they cant be put on wrong.
Every body has good ideas on what to check so take your pick .

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 02-21-2011 at 03:04 AM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Also check the little black bus on the right fender near the battery, make sure the red wire is connected to the battery.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Also check the little black bus on the right fender near the battery, make sure the red wire is connected to the battery.
It's probably not that cause that wire feeds the fuse box the light switch, the key switch and the horn relay and he says he has dash lights.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote