The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
BOZO
Old School

How did you mount your tank?

I'm doing the rear Blazer tank mount kit in my 69 swb. My question is, do you even use the supplied straps which come with the kit? I don't even see how you would use these in the installation. Also, I see 2 holes on each side of my tank which line up with corresponding holes in my frame. These holes on my tank have tabs facing upward. These tabs are giving me trouble. My solution to this problem is to grind off the tabs and just bolt up the tank with short bolts in the 4 locations (2 each side). Is this what everybodys doing it or am I missing something?
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
eagleuh1

Re: How did you mount your tank?

Wow, putting in a gas tank. Are you close to getting it on the road? Good luck with it. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Y'all gettin' along more quickly up in Pope county.....I could use some hurry-up down here.

Interested to see how people respond to this. I'm thinking that my in-cab tank is going away, too. Now that I have been made familiar with the perils of the fuel line beneath the cab and how close it can be to the hot exhaust system (if the line develops a leak), I don't wanna worry about that possibility if I can put a tank in the rear and route the gas line along the chassis rails away from any ignition source.

Sure, it made it 42 years without any issues, but the odor of gasoline in the cab, however slight it may be, was always a concern.

What I also wanna see are "how you fillums"...

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
BOZO
Old School

eagleuh1; This has been the first decent weekend to start puttin in the parts I have bought over the winter. Yesterday I installed a Chevy Astro clutch fan and this morning I installed some 2" drop blocks in the rear. When I bought the fan (junk yard find), I also bought an Astro brake hydroboost. And no, I'm still a long ways from being on the road (doggonnit). The cab is still on a utility trailer in the back yard where its been since cold weather started. My garage isn't heated and I won't work on my truck in the cold. This truck hobby is supposed to be fun and cold does not equal fun.
ChevLoRay; Yeah, I wanted to get the smell out of the cab and also a little more room. For a filler door, I'm gonna use the door from a wrecked 99 Chevy truck I have. Speaking of the perils of inside tanks, I have a story to tell.
I enjoy a good cigar occasionally and one day just after filling up my truck with gas, I was just up to speed after leaving the station and I fired up my cigar. After smoking it to the point of needing to flip my ash, I stuck it up to the slightly open wing window and let the wind trim my ash. Well, upon refocusing my eyes from the cigar to the left side rear view mirror to my horror I could see that I had left my gas cap laying in the bed and a steady spray of gas was siphoning from the filler neck. It was a wonder I didn't go out in a blaze of glory. I was lucky that day, stupid but lucky.
Last but not least;
Old 03-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Tmwoodall

I just installed mine yesterday. I didn't like the J-hooks and threw them away a long time ago (this is my second time to mount the tank). We drilled new holes in the bottom of the frame rail for 4 bolts, and used a 3" bolt on one side and a 2" bolt on the other to get things started. Of course use whatever length works for you.

I then just got the tank in place with the jack and got one strap mounted so that it would hold the tank relatively in place, and then added the second strap. I want to say we had to re-bend my straps originally.

Once it was all in place and I had the tank squared up I just tightened it all down so that it was nice an snug and there wasn't any slack in the straps. One thing I also did as a precautionary measure was put a pice of split 3/8" fuel line along the cross member above the rearend. My tank, when it was settled was about 1/2" away from it and didn't want it to eventually work its way up to it and put a hole in the side of my tank.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
SC C-10

I used the Blazer tank in my stepside, but with a few mods. I didn't use the straps and I had to make spacers to get it low enough in the frame for my application. I used grade 8 bolts to mount the tank by using the side holes in the tank and the frame rails. I cut the filler neck off and welded a patch over the original filler location. I re-mounted the shortened filler neck on the top of the tank and used a through the bed filler. No issues for a year, and no more gas smell in the cab.
Attached Images

1939 Cadillac LaSalle sedan
1950 Allis Chalmers B
1998 Bullet 21 XD 300 Merc/water hot rod
SC C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
eagleuh1

That looks sweet SC-C10. Wish I could come help you BOZO, your right about the weather this weekend. I'm working 12-13 hour days 6 a week. No work on truck. Gotta rebuild front end soon though. Is yours a long bed, coil or leaf truck BOZO?
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
bw4sale

I used the supplied straps with mine, but ended up buying new j hooks. Drilled 4 holes in the frame and that was it. The hardest part of mine was getting the straps bent in the right spots not to sag. I think the hardest part about just bolting it directly to the frame is access to the bolts. Here's a few pics for what it's worth.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
BOZO
Old School

bw4sale;
Thanks for your info & the pictures. I ended up bolting my tank to the holes in the frame, but that's because my bed is currently off the frame. But now seeing how you've done yours, I will redo mine and do it as you have done because the straps holding the weight is probably better than the edges.
Last but not least;