The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Operation No Budget

Hey All, New Here....But Not Too CHEVY'S!

Hey everyone,

New to the site, actually I've been lurking around for awhile now and see there's a ton of knowledge and plenty of good info on the site.

I've had chevy's growing up (since 12 yrs), my 1st pickup was fixed and given to me by my dad, it was a '55 Chevy shortbed stepside (small window), then I he and I fixed up a '57 Chevy shortbed stepside, then followed up w/ a '64 Chevy shortbed stepside. Man, I love all these trucks....I always had an urge to build a 67-72 Chevy.

So w/ that, when I was a sophmore in H.S. I bought from my Dad his '71 Chevy LWB Fleetside. Mind you, I am not a long bed type guy, matter of fact, it's gotta be shortbed and stepside or nothing. But I saw potential in this truck, so we dropped-in a 350 SBC, kept the original auto transmission and got her running. Started up the bodywork, etc. even straightend out a few dents on the LWB bed, but the budget didn't allow for much progress.

Well, fast-forward 15ish years later... I now have my own son (10 mos), and still have all the pickups I've mentioned before. Am thinking of starting a project for my boy and though....what better than the '71 Chevy. And though things haven't changed much in the budget since H.S., it's a little better. So I started gathering parts, found a stepside 68 GMC bed complete for $70, and edelbrock carb/intake for $160, american racing wheels and tires for $50, replacement step plates for $30.

So far the theme of my project is to put the truck together as a short wheel base stepside, get her running, and do all the body work on the lowest dollar possible. Right now I have $412 into her... Plan on adding a roll pan, billet grille, and make my own bed cover out of sheet metal. Lot's of plans, but let's see what happens. My issue is I'm in the miltary and the truck is 1K miles away. I'm gathering parts though and am gonna chop the frame and mount the bed on my 2-weeks of leave this summer.

Any tips on chopping the frame would be good, I've read alot of the sticky's here and got a good idea of what's done but any tips on driveshaft shortening, frame fishplates, etc. would be good. Also, I can't remember but I believe my '71 has the power booster Master Cylinder. I know my carb has the threaded vaccuum input on back but don't know if I'll need to buy a plug for those, or if it's plug-n-play. Any pics of an edelbrock carb setup would be helpful for all the vacuum lines too.

Without further adieu, here she is (not much, but I still see potential). Oh, and sorry for the novel! lol...

Name:  71 Chevy Project.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  41.7 KB
Operation No Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Hey All, New Here....But Not Too CHEVY'S!

First,"Thank you for your service".

And Welcome to the board.

And many have started a very nice ride with less.

Hope you have more pics(they're gonna ask).

Looks like a fun project,but when will you get to drive it? with all the other cool rides you listed I would be so busy trying to decide what to drive that I wouldn't have time to go anywhere.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Slick67
Sofa King Crazy!!

Welcome from Texas! This link below is "The Bible" for alot of the noobs. It covers alot of questions that may help you through the thought process on your project. Helped me tremendously. New pics when you get a chance to. Here ya go!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=262550

My Blazer Build (New) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654650

My 67 Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335650

67 Chevy LWB big window a/c AKA TOTALLED BY A JACKASS.
1972 2wd Blazer "Porterbuilt and Sloshed"
Slick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

aboard ONB....from NC....

Thanks for your service.....and let us know if we can help you with something around here....

BTW....Slick67.....what a great post and reference!!!!....I agree....spent a LOT of time in that thread....

If you can't find your exact question asked....we are here to help out...good luck...and of course....we must have more pictures

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
aboard ONB....from NC....

Thanks for your service.....and let us know if we can help you with something around here....

BTW....Slick67.....what a great post and reference!!!!....I agree....spent a LOT of time in that thread....

If you can't find your exact question asked....we are here to help out...good luck...and of course....we must have more pictures
100%

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

X3 and welcome and thank you for your service!!!