The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
CHASE71

Need help!! Would love some advice

Hello everybody i am new to this awsome site and i just bought a 71 swb fleetside. I know i want to run 17" cragar s/s with as tall a tire as possible. I am also looking at getting a stage 1 airbag kit from airtech that will give me a 3-4 drop fully inflated and will drop another 3" deflated. So before i pull the trigger and start spending money i would love some advice. Here are a few questions.

How wide of a rim can i run front/back?

What offset if any should i get?

How large a tire can i run?

W/ bags do you have to run fully inflated or can you drop pressure and say go with a 3-5 drop?

I know i will probably need a c-noch kit. Is there any other suspension components i need? Will i have problem w/ the drive shaft hitting?

Also im going to replace the existing cab w/ one off of a 68, what kind of problems should i expect if any?

Any advice, suggestions or pics of what i am talking about would help me get started, and would be greatly appreciated. Sorry i dont have any pics posted but i will get them up soon.

Thanks
chase
CHASE71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Need help!! Would love some advice

Wow! You sure ask a lotta questions for a new guy....

The drop you propose..... isn't going to be a static drop if you use bags. How do you intend to drop it? Spindles usually are good for 2.5 inches. Since you're gonna use bags, the additional drop is unknown, at least for me.

The 5-inch drop in the rear....short or long wheelbase? That much drop will need a Super Track bar (www.earlyclassic.com). You may also want to check out their new crossmembr that allows for additional room for the driveshaft to flop. You can also run your exhaust system through the cut-outs in that part.

Wheel width is an issue. I ran 15x8 Wheel Vintiques up front on my 2.5/4.0 statically-dropped '69. I ran 15x10's on the back. Up front, I had a 4-inch backspace. The rears ran a 5-inch backspace. The track width of the 70's are an inch wider than the 60-69's. My wheels didn't stick out past the edge of the fender and even were inside of them as you looked down the side of the truck.

Since you asked about tire diameter/height, I'm a little confused as to what you want to accomplish. My interpretation is that you want it to be "in da weeds", yet also have the ability to be jacked up. I just don't think that both feats are doable without some serious engineering and a thickly-padded wallet. But, Hey! It's your truck. Do whatcha like.

Swapping the later cab for an earlier one....the emergency brake is actuated differently. The '68 has a handle that you pull while the '69 and up has a pedal. I'm doing the same adaptation, but not yet so i can't answer your question.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 03-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
CHASE71

Do i need drop spindels if i use airbag front and rear? I am not looking to slam it, i like the "tucked" look and i am trying to figure out if a i can get that look w/ this airbag kit. Is anyone running a 3-4 drop using bags?
CHASE71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I don't think that anyone running bags is into it for a 3 or 4 inch drop. I think they're into it so they can lay frame. You can get a good ride with bags, but you need to know up front just exactly what your goal is, then look at the web and see what you can find.

Street Trucks magazine, among others, has some heavy advertising in the front of the magazine, from different air bag companies. Buy a copy.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote