The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
DetroitDan

01 Suburban rear differential

Can anyone tell me if the pickups interchange with the Suburbans? I think it's safe to assume the Tahoes will work, but I want to know how wide of a search I need to do. Just bought a used 01 1500 Sub, started humming and brought it back, dealer tells me rearend has some bearing issues. Don't have the money to have the dealer rebuild or replace it, but swapping a junkyard rear axle isn't beyond my abilities.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 01 Suburban rear differential

The SUVs have a coil spring rear suspension, The trucks are leaf spring. A Truck diff. will not bolt in. Im pretty sure that a Tahoe one will.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
DetroitDan

Re: 01 Suburban rear differential

I'm an idiot. I knew that too, but it didn't occur to me at the time. Thanks for the response. It looks like the dealer is going to rebuild it. I just bought it last month for cash with no warranty whatsoever, but they are going to split the cost with me because they are nice and I've bought three trucks from them. Really the best dealer I've ever dealt with, so I don't mind having work done there, even though it goes against the grain. And my share of the cost is only about $250 more than if I bought a used one from a junkyard and put it in myself. They can do it a lot faster and easier than me, and it will have a 12/12 warranty. I doubt I could have a junkyard rearend swapped in and working in time for a big roadtrip this weekend.