The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
lkefthrlkeson

TPI for crew cab dually

I was wondering if anyone had considered using a tpi system in their dually. I realize that ls swaps are much more popular, but I'm kinda partial to the long runner setup. I would like to swap a 355tpi and built 700r4 to replace the 454 since this truck is going to be driven daily(only going to be used to tow occasionally). The tpi will still make plenty of torque to get the truck moving. Just wanting to get some ideas and feedback about this. Thanks
lkefthrlkeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
dropd80s

Re: TPI for crew cab dually

You'll be fine with the motor, tranny will be the weak link in a truck that heavy but many have used the 700r4 with no problems.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
lkefthrlkeson

Thanks for the reply. The 700r4 is definitely going to have to be built better than stock. I just want it to be driveable. I had a 700 in my 69nova that I hated due to firmness of the shifts. Gonna be hauling my family around in it too, so they've got to be comfortable. Don't want to give them whiplash every time it shifts. So has anyone done this swap into a 3/4 ton or 1ton crew cab?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkefthrlkeson View Post
Thanks for the reply. The 700r4 is definitely going to have to be built better than stock. I just want it to be driveable. I had a 700 in my 69nova that I hated due to firmness of the shifts. Gonna be hauling my family around in it too, so they've got to be comfortable. Don't want to give them whiplash every time it shifts. So has anyone done this swap into a 3/4 ton or 1ton crew cab?
ahhhhh...Sure do miss the good ole' days of hearin the tires bark when shifting....

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
dropd80s

Im in the process of installing a stock TBI350 and 700R in my 86 C30, but the truck has half ton suspension and a short bed now though. Not quite as much weight as she used to be.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
lkefthrlkeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post
Im in the process of installing a stock TBI350 and 700R in my 86 C30, but the truck has half ton suspension and a short bed now though. Not quite as much weight as she used to be.
Do you have a build thread? Like to see how it turns out I figured if I can find a 350tpi out of a camaro or corvette, then I'll have 250hp & 340ft/lb of torque. Gonna add headers, exhaust, and free flowing intake. That should put me around 280hp and 370ft/lbs. Should be more than enough power to get it moving. And if I'm lucky, I'll get 13-16mpg on the highway!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
dropd80s

No build thread, sorry. I have a hard enough time finding time to get out there to work on her, much less taking pics and posting them. I'll try to do a better job in the future though. I think my motor/trans combo will be fine. I can’t imagine my truck will weigh too much more than the burb they came out of. She does have aux. transmission, oil, and power steering coolers though.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
lkefthrlkeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1425956 View Post
ahhhhh...Sure do miss the good ole' days of hearin the tires bark when shifting....
lol. Yeah, it was fine when it was just me, but when anybody rode in it. You could tell they were uncomfortable. The first time it would shift, they would just look at me like something was wrong. Have to admit it was kinda funny to watch their head snap back every time I punched it though!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
lkefthrlkeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post
No build thread, sorry. I have a hard enough time finding time to get out there to work on her, much less taking pics and posting them. I'll try to do a better job in the future though. I think my motor/trans combo will be fine. I can’t imagine my truck will weigh too much more than the burb they came out of. She does have aux. transmission, oil, and power steering coolers though.
I think I'm gonna have the same problem as you. Between work, kids, wife, and beer, their just isn't that much time left! As far as the truck goes, definitely going to have to look into to getting the oil and transmission coolers. Think that will help alot with making the 700 last more than 6 months!