The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Eagle Custom

bent frame

I just found out the frame on my sons 70 K-10 SWB frame is bent so now what should I do ?
Eagle Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
beautimus

Re: bent frame

ok, give us some background. was the truck recently wrecked? did you take it to an alignment shop only to find that the frame was bent to badly to be aligned? What makes you say that the frame is bent?

okay, heres what i would do if i thought my frame was bent.

1. i would take it to an alighment shop , and tell them that i suspect that the frame is bent, and ask them to look into it for me. and do an alighment.
If it turned out that they could alighn the front end without problems and the truck tracks straight. then no problem. If they can't alighn it then off to the frame shop, ask them to check it and give me an estimate to straighten the frame. if it cost a huge amount of cash to repair i would look for a better frame and put the truck on the new frame. Thats about all that i know to do for a bent frame. Best of luck to you. Tony
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Eagle Custom

The truck is on a newer frame that has been shortend by PO when I took the bed off you can see the driver side rail goes inward just in front of the rear spring hanger. and when I measured the center lines on the axles their is a 1.5" difference from driver side to pass side so I think I would be better off swapping frames than to try and fix all of the po crappy work this is a project truck for my 14yr old son so I have some time but without a good straight frame it will be hard to start on it. If anyone has a good 4x4 frame around Missouri let me know I would prefer swb but lwb will work as I have shortend and extended a few frames in the past (used to help a guy take road tractors and turn them into dump trucks and shortend a 76 chevy 4x4 chassis to fit a willys pu )
Eagle Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
BIGKEV

If your comfortable swapping frames I would go that route. With out a good frame rack and a tram gauge getting it right will be a handful.
BIGKEV is offline   Reply With Quote