The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would you buy Amsoil products through a vendor on the forum?
I would buy Amsoil products 9 16.07%
I would not buy Amsoil products 21 37.50%
I would like more info on Amsoil products 17 30.36%
I already use Amsoil products 13 23.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #26
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Re: Amsoil sales

One thought, the motors I had trouble with were all city driven. Rarely even made it to operating temperature. I've seen many that never hit the highway have gum up or carbon issues. If you can't get the oilhot enough to wash out carbon deposits what option is there. Its still going to accumulate regaurdless of oil change or brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #27
wyattglock

Thats true. Along those lines, if you arent able to drive it long enough to get the engine to operating temperature then you will also be rotting out the exhaust due to water buildup not getting burned out of it. I have also seen several cars like you have described, the biggest thing I have always told people is to drive a little farther if possible and let it heat up. Uses more gas, but it saves in maintenance in the long run.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #28
BigBlocksRule

^ worst thing in the world...best reason not to buy from the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday mornings...
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
^ worst thing in the world...best reason not to buy from the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday mornings...
Agreed
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
I just pulled the engine out of a 09 GMC Acadia... The customer has been using amsoil. It only has 45k miles. The timing chains were worn so badly it was setting DTCs. When we tore into it to replace the timing chains I found the motor to be sludged up worse then 200k motors. You could just scrape a 1/4 in of sludge off anywhere. The customers are going through some kind of deal where we keep sending amsoil oil samples etc. ..... I for one... will NEVER ever use the stuff.... Change your oil people... its cheap insurance.. I work at a chevy dealership... I deal with cars everyday... I dont care what the manufacturer says.. Change conventional oil every 3k and synthetic every 5k.... These oil life monitors will let you run damn new 10k between oil changes with conventional oil..... That is BS.... All it is, is a way to keep the annual cost of maintenance down so it looks good on paper.....thats straight from one of GMs engineers mouth... CHANGE YOUR DAMN OIL.. at least once I week I deal with lack of maintenance issues...............
While I cant intelligently debate how the vehicle has been taken care of, and I definitely dont dispute your expertise. I can say that any product not used correctly can cause bad things to happen.
I know how this might sound, but I am still skeptical about the 25k interval. I know people who do it regularly, and in their situations it works well. They are also on the highway the majority of the time. In my opinion, if you are traveling on the highway more than in town, it could be possible to have the extended interval. I know that in town driving is the worst there is, regardless of the type of oil. I also know that driving on gravel roads or off road is harder on the oil system no matter how good the filter may be. That is why I would personally use the OE or XL grade of oil from Amsoil. Still has the wear protection, just not designed for the heavily touted 25k interval. In those cases I would still change oil at 5k and save some money doing it.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #31
spudz

I agree that its good oil. Just dont agree with how they say they can go 25k.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #32
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

I do believe that depends on how the car is driven. My feild truck is every 12000 miles maxbecause of all the lease roads I drive on.That poor thing is rarely clean for more than a day, and sees many miles of caliche roads. With the lack of rain weve had, its very dusty. Almost like driving on baby powder in some places. And I mean 4wd required fine dust. Its crazy. I dont have anything else that goes more than that really because i change it once a year, regaurdless of mileage which I know is less than 10000 miles on the most frequent one.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #33
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Id be more suspect of a internal coolant leak. Dexcool does bad things mixed with oil.
My brothers 01 burb with a 5.3 was changed @3k its whole life .. It was so sludged up the lifters began to rattle @ 100k. It was nasty

Last edited by KQQL IT; 05-08-2011 at 02:04 AM.
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #34
wyattglock

I want to thank everyone for their input on this poll. I will make a decision in the next couple of days if I will become a vendor or not. Either way, I will still field questions for anyone that might have some. You can pm or post and I will get back to you.

Thanks!