The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
MrMFFB
Account Suspended

Stock shocks vs. Drop

I'm going to drop the rear of my truck 5". I had previously purchased a set of stock rear shocks, but haven't put them on yet. I was told that I could put front shocks in the rear and wouldn't have to use extenders, or should I just go with drop shocks? I'm on a budget, as all of us are probably. Looking for the safest and cheapest way to do this, as far as the shocks are concerned. Thanks for your help.
MrMFFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: Stock shocks vs. Drop

The main issue is the going the be the length the shock extends and compresses. If your shock bottoms out, then it'll fail much faster than it should. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with using it. If you can measure the extended and compressed length of the shock you have, and compare it to what your suspension travel is, you'll know if you can use what you have or have to buy new ones.

For more definite answers, you'll have to include details on what kind of truck you're working on though.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
SCOTI

Using front shocks for the rear (or vice versa) means using shocks that probably don't have the correct valving for the location. Incorrect valving means the shock isn't doing it's job correctly regardless if it's a good brand or not.

Try relocating the brackets to gain as much travel as possible. The goal is to utilize the longest stroke for shock travel within the limits of the suspensions travel. There's more than 1 thread on cheap/free shock mod's you can do w/basic hand tools & such. Then if you still need to do drop shocks, get some that are specific to your application so you're getting the best performance out of them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
stepSquare

I just did the rear on my truck and just used my stock shocks w/extenders and it's doing fine for now I guess. It rides pretty good too
Posted via Mobile Device
stepSquare is offline   Reply With Quote