The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
greguw

Re: 1990 GMC Suburban ... Cummins Powered

Still waiting for some back ordered battery trays , could come in tomorrow . I got the exhaust fabed up and welded over the weekend , I went with 3" straight piped for now ... Had the Gavanized tubing sitting around the shop .
Had to put the rear tires on to make sure the clearance was correct with the tire ... putting the tires on is like oping presents be for xmas ...LOL I just want to keep them on ...LOL
The 42's fit the wells pretty good .... What do you think ?
Attached Images

greguw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Looks very much bad ass! Exhaust looks good too!
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Looks great and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants a ride in that beast.
What are your plans for paint?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
greguw

Had the Flu last week , so it was a slow week for being productive . M managed to fine tune the exhaust and hangers . I used the standard big truck hangers ... they look like the regular hangers just a little more beef to them .
So I opted to mount them on studs that I also cut thick rubber washers out of coolant hose ... I used locking nuts to adjust the tension on the hangers . If you have the to tight the viberation will transfer threw the body and it just really sucks , I went thrru it with other diesels I put exhaust with .
I also added a 4 inch stainless tip ... Blacked out the exhaust , looks pretty good and sounds great , not much viberation transfer at all .
I was able to drive it a few feet back and forth in my shop ... clutch feels great , steers and stops ... and no major leaks , I was really concerned with the rear main seal ... its nice and dry .
I bought a over flow bottle from ebay and it was junk , I ended up plastic welding up my old one and that seems to be holding up nice , shes all toped off with coolant ... took over 5 gallons ... no leaks .
The final engine component I need to fab up is the air filter , I'll be dealing with a small space ... I new this was going to be a custom fit ... I might be able to squeeze one of the Big Honking Air filter with a tight elbow coupling .
Next week I will hit the electrical also .
Heres a few pics ... done for the day .
Attached Images

Last edited by greguw; 06-19-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
greguw

Managed to find some time over the weekend to start laying out the wiring . Got all the main parts in place , air cleaner is in its place ... not really happy about having it a open filter , I will put a filter sock on it . I don't plane on ant water deeper than 5ft ...LOL Thats about how high it sits with the big tires on it ... not a big deal .
Layed out all the wiring , mounted up the grid heaters , put in a few terminal blocks for connections . Added a Painless wiring secondary relay controlled fuse block .
Got most of my heavy 0/2 cables run , grounds connected .
I also am running a 200 amp single wire alternator , add some #4 feed cables from the alt . I'm going to pick at the wiring this week , possibly get the windsheild out and start preping for a new shield .
Attached Images