The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
grey1173

Donor Truck in progress!

Howdy, just wanted some suggestions. I pulled a 1987 gmc truck home over the weekend. It has a 700 r4 and 273 rearend. Disc brakes and other stuff. I have a 66 short frame and ready for suggestions. By the way I have a 66 short fleet project and would like to make a running clean chassis before the cab goes on. I would like to use the front suspension clip and power steering box. I would like to use the entire front crossmember from the 87 truck. Is that possible. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks again
grey1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Donor Truck in progress!

If you already have the engine out of your '66 frame, I would swap the entire front suspension, crossmember and all. You'll just have to drill one hole on each side, and elongate one hole on each side. And you can also use the power steering box. I sell the adapter plates for that. The power brake booster can be used, but you will have to drill holes to bolt it to your firewall. If you don't want to drill more holes in your firewall, I sell a bolt on bracket for that uses different power brake boosters. You can also use the rear end, but that will require cutting and welding if you have trailing arms and coils in the rear.

Here is one of the threads listed in the FAQ at the top of the page regarding front disc brake conversions

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-23-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
kieth

Re: Donor Truck in progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey1173 View Post
Howdy, just wanted some suggestions. I pulled a 1987 gmc truck home over the weekend. It has a 700 r4 and 273 rearend. Disc brakes and other stuff. I have a 66 short frame and ready for suggestions. By the way I have a 66 short fleet project and would like to make a running clean chassis before the cab goes on. I would like to use the front suspension clip and power steering box. I would like to use the entire front crossmember from the 87 truck. Is that possible. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks again

I used most of the parts from a 91 burb, the same as your 87 chevy, I used the TB 350, 700r4, tilt steering column, power steering, and the wiring harness since it was in great shape. It is relatively painless....take a look here and you can see the whole process. I a building a 66 gmc but it is the same as the chevrolet.......Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...67555158_RNLWE

Little wrinkles:

1. Cons The late model motor mount brackets had to be relocated lower on the front crossmember and the 66 frame notched about 1" for the later model motor mounts to work.

Pros: this moves the 350 forward slightly, lowers it, along with a tubular transmission crossmember which leaves enough clearance for a low hump cab.

2. Power steering pump and tilt column:

Pros: Low cost, you must like the wheel, using the wiring harness is less expensive in money but it takes longer to do because you have to be inventive. steering column must be shortened and the fire wall must be cut to use the stock 87 column...

Cons: You really have to be creative and think things thru where if you buy everything new it is just plug and play.....

3. Using 87 rear end:

Pros: nice gear ratio but are you sure it is a 2:73 ?

Cons: 87 rear end is wider, you will have to install all the brackets from the earlier rear end,

4. Front Crossmember:

Pros: Heavier bearings, A arms, bushings, etc. it changes you over to 5 x 5 lug pattern, disc brakes, power steering

Cons: the track is 3/4 of an inch per side wider so it makes one have to be careful of wheel offset and width.

I spent $1200.00 on 2 burbs, got engine, 700r4, tilt wheel, wiring, front crossmember, and am using A/c parts.....not bad if you are on a budget.

Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote