The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
TX6T7

Bent Frame Rail

I noticed today that the last crossbar(closest to rear bumper) has a bend in it. It almost looks like at one time someone hooked a chain with a hook over it and pulled something which caused it to bend. All of the original rivets are still attached and none are broken. The frame rails seem to be straight, but thats only a guess from a human eye.

The truck has a homemade towing hitch welded up under the frame, so i wonder if this had anything to do with the damage.

Should I just remove this crossbar altogether? Or does it have enough significant structural neccessity for the rear of the bed?

If I recall properly, my last truck frame was missing this bar and it allowed me to install a gas tank under the frame. Just not sure if i need to go hunt the junkyard for this piece or not.

1967 Chevy swb stepside-work in progress
2005 GTO-daily driver
2001 F250-weekend car crusher
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
TX6T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Bent Frame Rail

Thats a pretty common piece to be bent. Your probably right that it was used to as an attachment point to pull some one out of a bad situation.

If it were me, I would replace it with a stock piece unless you plan to run a hitch. I believe Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) sells that part.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

I'd say leave it alone. It's not seen and surely looks no worse than that homemade tow hitch. It's riveted in there nice and tight. Let it be.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
TX6T7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Thats a pretty common piece to be bent. Your probably right that it was used to as an attachment point to pull some one out of a bad situation.

If it were me, I would replace it with a stock piece unless you plan to run a hitch. I believe Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) sells that part.
I don't plan to have a hitch on the truck. I am actually going to cut this homemade one out soon. I just dont want to leave a bent piece between my frame.

I may just delete it and go with it since I dont have any plans of towing with this truck. Thats why i have an F250.....

Only thing I will have to do is fab a small bracket to hold the rear wiring harness since it currently mounts through this crossbar.

2005 GTO-daily driver
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
TX6T7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I'd say leave it alone. It's not seen and surely looks no worse than that homemade tow hitch. It's riveted in there nice and tight. Let it be.
Yeah the rivets are still in tact and holding strong. but the crossbar is bent to the point that is has a kink/break in the metal. I am just going to take it out and roll without it. might save me 15lbs in weight

2005 GTO-daily driver
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

they call me around these parts Bad new's man But i try to do my best to explain why you need that last cross bar it's the last stiff point on the frame.You leave it its fine if its not in the way and no one will see it why remove it.Well lets just say your driving this Clean mean looking machine and its all done and all finished and you so happy for how this truck works feels and it dose look cool I must say so to me self.YAAA.

Well Now you have a Kid or a women Or Mr busy body On the Phone eating something EDITED BY STAFF.And you have to do a panic stop for a kid another clean ass truck or a moron with a Gun.and the person Behind you dose not see that your stopped they hit you at 30 60 and here in Calif 90.To me i've learn from drunk drivers that i like having a hitch under my frame with the receiver in place with the ball sticking out and a Rhino spike sticking out as a warring to stay away from my back end.

You remove that last bar you can Kiss your bed,Cab frame good bye and if you have that collector car INS and the Claims person come out and looks to see what you did to your truck if all the safety equipment is still in stalled and see's that that last rear Bare is gone they might say that they will pay for the bumper and the bed and some of the cab But you modified the safety of the frame

you can remove the bars after that end bar but never remove the last one you will run into Flex problems as well and even Dog legging where your truck might be crooked going down the high way and in some states you can get your truck towed for that and get a big fat Ticket But that just me and having 12 trucks and being Hit by 3 drunk drivers from the back One at 45 mph then the kid hit me at 55 and they women slammed into me at 64 mph totaled the truck i walked away
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
kellytheaker

st salvage is on the right track - these crossmembers - that one in particular held the spare and the purpose is to stop diamonding or shifting of the two frame rails - forward and backwards - please never remove modify any piece that was engineered in unless your brighter than GMs staff . good luck
kellytheaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
mgkgmc

I have the same issue with my truck but its bent more severly. I was wondering if I replace mine with the ece one will the insurance company have an a issue with it not being stock if there was an accident? Not planning on that happening but would anyone know anything about that?
Posted via Mobile Device
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
kellytheaker

theres nothing wrong with replacing the meber but when the box is up and away from the frame some time why not just hammer and dolley the member back into shape because it was riveted from factory - why destroy it just be aware of it and a little project if you get the box up . i dont believe your ins would have a problem - let sleeping dogs lay
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
mgkgmc

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I dont think this is repairable. I hope I am wrong though.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
kellytheaker

grab a section when you can and grind off the rivets and have when you whant a project and if it doesnt hammer out nice just replace it - there has got to be alot of those members available at the yards , but it could be straightened with the box off ..
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
mgkgmc

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
TX6T7

I will be removing the box from the frame here in the next few weeks so I will try to find a salvage member that is straight that i can replace it with. My next question is what is the best method for install?

Should I use really strong bolts? Weld? Both?

My truck's spare mounts on the fender, so i don't think there is any extra bracing under the frame for a spare.

I previously owned a 56 chevy, that sat on a 66 frame and it did not have this framerail in place. Coincidently i was rearended at about 40mph and got pushed into the car in front of me(i was the meat of this sandwich). the rear bumper did its job and took the impact. Took it to a frame shop and the only thing out of wack was the right front framerail. The experts did not mention anything to me about the structural design of the frame not being safe or unoriginal. My insurance paid for the damages.

Thanks to others that have responded to my dilemma. I will post a picture of the actual damage in the next few days.

2005 GTO-daily driver
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
TX6T7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellytheaker View Post
grab a section when you can and grind off the rivets and have when you whant a project and if it doesnt hammer out nice just replace it - there has got to be alot of those members available at the yards , but it could be straightened with the box off ..
this is something that cannot be hammered out. It would have to be removed or replaced

2005 GTO-daily driver
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
TX6T7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkgmc View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but I dont think this is repairable. I hope I am wrong though.
yours looks better than mine lol, i will get a pic up for you guys soon

2005 GTO-daily driver
1956 Chevy Pickup-sold
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
truckdude239

just brace the frame before you remove it and install the new one you should be fine

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote