The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
bluesfella

Oh my god, I hate u-joints...

I've done them many times before (years ago), but tonight I spent WAY too long trying to replace the original ones on my '66.

I'm in the middle of a clutch replacement, and when I pulled the driveshaft, I noticed how bad the u-joints were, so I picked up some replacements today and tried to switch them out. The rear one wasn't too bad, but when it came time to do the front one, I had some problems.

First off, these looked to be the original u-joints. My truck is a 70,000 mile original, and has never been apart for anything, as far as I can tell. (I'm the third owner - the first was my friend's great-grandfather, who passed it down to my friend's grandfather, and I bought it after his passing.)

When you put new u-joints on, they have these nifty zerk fittings so you can service them. Little tip - these fittings need to point towards the driveshaft, NOT towards the front yoke or they will bind. I didn't figure this out until I had it 75% done.

I took it apart and put it back together the right way, and came across the 2nd issue. Trying to get that last cap on, I broke one of the needle bearings. I think it was a combination of trying to hold the driveshaft still on my vise, plus trying to hold the yoke right in the middle while I gently tapped on the cap with a hammer - anyway, I was slightly off, and one of the needle bearings fell in and broke. Now I have to go buy another u-joint tomorrow.

So, long story to get to my question - any tips for doing this easier? I'm really frustrated with these things...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
faribran

Re: Oh my god, I hate u-joints...

i feel for ya son.......... i struggle with those every time too..
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
losthope

ohhh i love them too...when putting the caps on with all the little needle bearings and the all fall down inside the cap and the grease while your under the car thats so much fun!!!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Maxxd07

I find using the vice like a press instead of using a hammer works well. I also try to keep the cross as far in the caps as possible to keep the needles from getting knocked free. And making sure there is enough grease to hold every needle in its place doesnt hurt either.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
tooslo60

I don't use a vise at all, I just do it on a bench with a socket a little smaller than the cap and a hammer, a mechenic in Tijuana showed me how he did them and since then I've never had a problem with them.
tooslo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

I use Maxxd07's technique, along with a smaller socket. One advantage to Maxx's method is that it's a more controlled process. to me, tapping with a hammer is inviting the needles to dislodge. However, I've broken needles before too, even with vise-as-press method, by not being careful and by forcing the cap when it didn't want to go.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
64fleetside

I like to toss my joints in the freezer-shrinks them somewhat & keeps the grease more solid so the little needles don't fall out. I put them in on the floor using the socket method above.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
bluesfella

So, I managed to get them all done last night, with only the one broken needle bearing. I used a combination of the socket-and-hammer technique and the vise technique. The hammer works fine for the rear of the driveshaft, but I had to use to vise for the last two caps on the front end when installing the yoke.

There were several times I thought I had jammed the needle bearings again, and had to remove a cap, but I was just being paranoid.

So, it's done. But I still hate those little buggers!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
wildearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64fleetside View Post
I like to toss my joints in the freezer-shrinks them somewhat & keeps the grease more solid so the little needles don't fall out. I put them in on the floor using the socket method above.
Great idea! I will have to remember this one.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
shortbed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
I find using the vice like a press instead of using a hammer works well. I also try to keep the cross as far in the caps as possible to keep the needles from getting knocked free. And making sure there is enough grease to hold every needle in its place doesnt hurt either.
I've done some this way. Did my latest one on the floor with a socket like said before also.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote