The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Gauge hookups

I have a factory gauge cluster in my '65 C-10 and have a question (actually looking for confirmation before I spend the money, LOL).

I am wanting to hook up my factory oil pressure gauge as well as the aftermarket Auto Meter gauge I have using -4 AN braided hoses.

I am thinking that I need an 1/8" to -4 AN tee fitting to put in the back of the block ('71 350 block) and then hook up the hoses to the tee fitting and route them to each respective gauge.

How far off am I on this one?

I am also going to hook up the factory temp gauge as well and realize I need the appropriate temp sender unit for my truck, remove the plug that is in my Performer RPM intake and hook up the wires. I also plan on adding a Volt gauge as well.

P.S. Thanks AutoMeter for discontinuing the Sport Comp Silver tach and never introducing a line of gauges that match it. Now I am going to need to buy a new tach as well!
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Gauge hookups

Not sure you can get a fitting to go into the back of the factory oil pressure gauge for the #4 you want to run. The gauge is set up for a compression fitting and a 1/8" copper tube. Now you could run the tube from the tee in the block.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will likely also need a 1/8" to -4 fitting in addition to the 1/8" tee, but yeah that should work

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
I have a factory gauge cluster in my '65 C-10 and have a question (actually looking for confirmation before I spend the money, LOL).

I am wanting to hook up my factory oil pressure gauge as well as the aftermarket Auto Meter gauge I have using -4 AN braided hoses.

I am thinking that I need an 1/8" to -4 AN tee fitting to put in the back of the block ('71 350 block) and then hook up the hoses to the tee fitting and route them to each respective gauge.

How far off am I on this one?

I am also going to hook up the factory temp gauge as well and realize I need the appropriate temp sender unit for my truck, remove the plug that is in my Performer RPM intake and hook up the wires. I also plan on adding a Volt gauge as well.

P.S. Thanks AutoMeter for discontinuing the Sport Comp Silver tach and never introducing a line of gauges that match it. Now I am going to need to buy a new tach as well!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-12-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I was hoping that I could install this in the back of the block (in place of the current copper tubing and ferrel fittings) and then run the an hoses off this to the gauges.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-482504/

Am I dreaming that it could be this simple?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
PGSigns

It will need to set up some to be able to be able to get the lines to clear the block. Another solution would be to run a single #4 line to the aftermarket gauge. On the back of the aftermarket gauge put a tee and off the tee run the 1/8" copper line to the stock one in the dash. Got to go to copper line some time due to the way the stock gauge is made.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

That fitting would work. You might want to use the street elbow type like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM2031/ and then tee to the (2) gauges under the dash, less clutter under the hood.

I installed a 1/8" pipe nipple and a street elbow on my SBC to get the oil port up to where it was more accessible. Kind of a b i t c h to access down in that recess under the distributor.

You could use the one down by the oil filter, but if you are running headers and or a clutch the space down there is just as bad, or worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-12-2011 at 08:37 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
MikeN

I bought a little kit from Autometer that was on the rack in my local Pep Boys store. It had a small selection of fittings and some copper tubing. Worked perfect.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
MalibuKasey
Artist

Autometer also makes the AN kit.... but any racecar shop/summit/jegs. herbert or whoever will have the fitting Captfab is referring to. Thats how I run all mine. I dont mess with the copper lines/or the plastic kit.... over time Ive always had em leak.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Update!

I think I solved what I wanted to do. I bought this to install in the back of the block and then run a line to the factory gauge:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Straig...o-AN4,954.html

I may run a "Y" fitting on this to feed the aftermarket gauge as well or just buy a 90* fitting and plumb the aftermarket gauge from the port above the oil filter.

This should take care of the issues in hooking up AN lines to the stock gauge:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Gauge-Fittings,949.html