The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Nukes16

Steering woes continued...

OK guys here goes, I'm hoping you can help once again. My '86 has severely sensitive steering ever since I lowered it. I dropped the front with 2.5" dropped spindles and 2" dropped coils and in the back I dropped it 5" with hangers and shackles. I also put all new ball joints in, had it alingned... more than once, replaced the idler arm, the pitman arm, and just today replaced the whole power steering box. Much to my surprise/disappointment, my steering is still way too sensitive. One little turn of the steering wheel turns the truck too much. It's OK at slow speeds but at 40 or 50 it's scary.
Any suggestions out there???
Thanks in advance
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Steering woes continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukes16 View Post
OK guys here goes, I'm hoping you can help once again. My '86 has severely sensitive steering ever since I lowered it. I dropped the front with 2.5" dropped spindles and 2" dropped coils and in the back I dropped it 5" with hangers and shackles. I also put all new ball joints in, had it alingned... more than once, replaced the idler arm, the pitman arm, and just today replaced the whole power steering box. Much to my surprise/disappointment, my steering is still way too sensitive. One little turn of the steering wheel turns the truck too much. It's OK at slow speeds but at 40 or 50 it's scary.
Any suggestions out there???
Thanks in advance
Sound like its toed in to much, tires are fighting each other or check your frame behind steering box for cracks. Also get someone to turn steering wheel back and forth and inspect the rivit that conects small front crossmember to see if frame rail is flexing during turning.

Last edited by J Knight; 08-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Twitchy steering can also be caused by lack of "Caster". I would take it back to the alignment shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
1LowToy

Did you remove the center drag link? It is possible to have put it on back wards (left side on the right side) and your truck will steer real messed up.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Do you have any pics of the front suspension?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Did you remove the center drag link? It is possible to have put it on back wards (left side on the right side) and your truck will steer real messed up.
This is exactly what happened on my restoration. We tried everything, and then someone on the forum suggested the drag link was on backwards. Once we changed it, everything was fine.

I noticed it most hitting bumps in the road. The truck would want to "float" all over the place and it was tough to keep it under control.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Nukes16

I'm not 100% sure how to tell if the drag link is on correctly or not, but the all of the steering was on the frame when I got it. I have the original frame here with the original steering parts, I wonder if I should switch everything out?
Anyway, here are some pictures of what I am currently running (that isn't working well)
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Looks correct to me.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Nukes16

I'm not sure how the drag link could be put on backwards, wouldn't the idler arm and pitman arm not reach?
Do you guys think that I could have an issue with the power steering pump providing me with too much pressure... is that possible? If so, I'm thinking that an increase in caster and maybe a new pump might be the answer???

Thanks again for all of your help guys!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

hummmm sounds to me like you got either a really well built pump or a later model 71 style pump. I base this on nothing at all, but my 71 would go from lock-to-lock with a flick or a wrist, that easy. SCARY easy. Come to find out they called it some stupid 60's name like hydrasupersist or some bs like that, all truck with the HD leaf package got it on GMC's, not chevys... so its possible chevy never changed bolt patterns and u got one.....

This is what i reccomend, if the steering is easy, thats good. it means everything lubed and working well, if its too "twitchy" your pumps preload is most likely too tight. This is that nut /w/ the allen in the middle, as you look down into the engine compartment thru the open hood..... will post pics when I can, but this adjustment "brings the gears together".... too loose=bump steer (sloppy steering) too tight= overheatings, premature failure, and what is explained as "hot steering".... sense the gears are too close to eachoother they create heat, swell, and become closer, swell, exc exc... this can cause the steering to seem super sensitive at first, but is usually followed by "tracking" as the heat increases as u go down the road....

HOW TO CHECK. Turn the vehicle off, turn the steering shaft from under the hood and feel for free play. u want a good amount of slop in these trucks, do more research for yourself before u go messn with gearsets..... i say "gears" when its really alot more goin on there....

butttt chances are u were just used to the old steering, i recommend a steering stabilizer kit, will do wonders esp for the highway.
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Nukes16

thanks for your input,

Cheers