The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Born Lucky

To Sealant or Not?

Ok finally getting ready to assembly engine. I have a tendancy to put sealant on all mating surfaces.
I need some advice
Head gasket Do I Put sealant
Side cover gasket
Oil Pan
Fuel Pump
Timing Cover Gasket
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
CVA59

Re: To Sealant or Not?

Head gasket - NO
Side cover gasket - Yes, a light film
Oil Pan - Yes, a light film. More at the front and rear.
Fuel Pump - yes
Timing Cover Gasket - yes

I do this on all engines i assemble and never had any leaks. I NEVER glob it on. I only apply a light film on anything i do. The trick is not to over tighten.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
jocko

one note - I like to put the sealant only on the pan side of the oil pan (kinda like a BIG valve cover...), then attach it to the oil pan - let it dry a bit and then stick it on. Don't go crazy with it, Zack's spot on with the light film comments. And then - DON'T overtighten. I put that in bold because I always tend to do that.... That will split the gasket in a heartbeat.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Born Lucky

I have the manual right in front of me. On page 6-26 under the installation section it states to use a good head gasket paste sealer with this gasket.
Interesting most folks say no sealant and the factory is saying yes.
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Lucky View Post
I have the manual right in front of me. On page 6-26 under the installation section it states to use a good head gasket paste sealer with this gasket.
Interesting most folks say no sealant and the factory is saying yes.
I think that may have something to do with a factory warranty situation. I have NEVER used any kinda of paste or sealer on head gaskets in all my years of putting engines together. If you are still unsure, there is no problem doing exactly as the manual says. I guess it boils down to personal preference. Either way will work fine though.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
jocko

I believe there is a difference between "sealant" and "paste"... Buy by the produce description in the manual if you must - BUT, the manuals were written in the 60's when head gaskets (of the day) required sealant.

Read the instructions with YOUR head gaskets and follow them, times have changed. I am with Zack - most go on dry. Have seen some cases where in a tack was applied to hold them in the proper place, but the dowels should do that just fine. Again, I do believe that the instructions with your particular head gaskets trump our 1960's shop manuals. If no guidance provided with your gasket - then I recommend you dump all this guidance and call the manufacturer with your part number and ask them specifically.

For clarification - are you reading a manual that is for your specific gaskets or are you reading the 60-66 shop manual?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
bama63

the old steel shim type head gasket does require sealant but the newer composite gaskets do not use sealant nor do they require a re-torque