The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
The Champ

Suspension Help - Lowering/Leveling

Need some suggestions of the best way to resolve a suspension issue on my '81 C10.

Bought the truck this spring - a one owner, all original truck with 83,000 miles. I knew for a fact that it had a bad left front spring and the whole truck leaned towards the driver's side.

I was hoping that new springs would level out both the front and the back. I wanted to lower the truck about 2" and looked at some drop springs - but when I was able to get a new set of ACDelco standard springs for $70.00 with no shipping (I work for an ACD warehouse distributor) vs. $150.00 (or more) plus shipping - I elected to cut 1 coil of the standard springs.

This really helped the front end, but only partially fixed the rear end. So took a good look at the rear springs and discoverd the #3 leaf on the driver's side was cracked. Pulled both springs and took out leaf #3 hoping that this would fix the lean problem and lower the rear to the level I wanted.

Well, it reduced the lean, but it still leans 1" and I'd probably like to lower the rear 1 more inch on the low side, 2" on the high side.

How would the resident experts attack this?

1. New rear lowering springs? If so, how much of a drop from "stock" and where do you buy them? Other than Eaton Spring - I haven't been able to find a source for lowering rear leaf springs. Eaton only goes up to a 3" drop - not sure that would be enough.

2. Lowering shackles - 2" drop on passenger side and 1" on driver's side?

If I go with the lowering shackles - I'm assuming that I have to notch the bed support. If I'm correct (photo below), is it just simply I cut that area out and I'm fine - or do I need to reinforce the area I cut out somehow.

This is a shot from the rear showing the 1" lean to the driver's side from the rear of the truck:

This is from the driver's side - I think another inch would get this where I'd like it:

This is the passenger side, which is 1 inch higher than the driver's side, so I'd like this side down 2":

This is the stock shackle - and I don't see how I can get a 2" drop shackle in there with out cutting that horizontal bed support out:

Side view of the truck showing the front and the taller passenger side rear:

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!!!
The Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Suspension Help - Lowering/Leveling

Drop shackles will be the cheapest fix.
Looks like you have 52" rear leaf springs,... so the bed brace will have to be notched.
www.performanceonline.com sells drop leaf springs.
The fact that you have a drivers side (only) gas tank contributes to the "chevy lean".

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

BTW,... NICE truck!

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
The Champ

Keith

Keith

I knew that shackles would be the cheapest - $50 - 60.00. Just wasn't sure if the 1" driver's side and 2" passenger side idea would make sense to level the rear. Is this acceptable - or am I doing "redneck" engineering???

Never thought about the extra 200 pounds of the gas tank on the driver's side - but I had thought about taking the spare tire out for an 50 - 60 pound savings (original spare tire - never been on the road - wouldn't put it on if I had a flat anyway...)

I'm thinking that the original driver's side spring was weakened by be driven for who knows how long with a cracked leaf. That's why I'm tempted to go with new springs to fix it right. It looks like $400.00 for the springs - just need to learn what shipping is.

I'm thinking that either the 3" or the 4" drop would get me where I want to be. Seems like from what I've read a 2/4 drop should get the truck "level" front to rear. A 2/3 drop would keep the rear end at a slight rake.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You're on the right track.
I would replace the leaf springs, if it were mine.
So many members on here are geared towards "the cheapest way",... that my answers also tend to lean that way.
(this economy is tough right now)

I really prefer using a flip kit on the rear of these trucks,... which would require stock rear springs.
But I also like a 4/6 drop on 73-87 trucks.
It's a very streetable drop.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
The Champ

I will occaissionally haul stuff (motors, car parts, other miscellaneous stuff) with this truck and don't think I want to go to a 4/6 drop.

Probably going the new spring route. Not saying money is no object, but it's really not all that much in the grand scheme of things and I'd just as soon do it right. I thought it was redneck enough pulling the cracked leaf out on the driver's side and pulling the passenger side to hope it'd level it out right to left...
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Flip kits don't change the load carrying capacity of these trucks.
In 1990 I hauled my Pro Street '67 Camaro to Indy with my old '87 swb (lowered 4/6).

But everyone is different.
Just remember,... a 4" drop leaf spring is 4" shorter than a NEW set of "stock height" leaf springs.
They may not be 4" shorter than what you have now.

Convert to disc brakes.