The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
samuellg1977

A few questions for the Chevy 350 guys.

Hey, Everybody... I am back again. I am swapping out a stock intake for a Holley street dominator. Which brand / style of gaskets should i go with? I have to pull the valve covers, so they get new gaskets as well. I have the cheap-o chrome short valve covers and I tried the cork (crap) gaskets last time... NOT AGAIN. They are leaking like vegetable strainers. Oil change is due, so why not go all in while i have the time? What else am i going to need to know or do for this little task? Oh, will a leaking valve cover cause low oil pressure? I have 25psi ALL THE TIME (no matter what i am doing) Idling, cruising, WOT - No change - 25psi is all i ever get. No less than 25 either. The gauge is right, because i checked it against another gauge and they both ran at a constant 25psi. Thanks for any advice you guys can send my way.

Sam
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
tenni126

Re: A few questions for the Chevy 350 guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuellg1977 View Post
Hey, Everybody... I am back again. I am swapping out a stock intake for a Holley street dominator. Which brand / style of gaskets should i go with? I have to pull the valve covers, so they get new gaskets as well. I have the cheap-o chrome short valve covers and I tried the cork (crap) gaskets last time... NOT AGAIN. They are leaking like vegetable strainers. Oil change is due, so why not go all in while i have the time? What else am i going to need to know or do for this little task? Oh, will a leaking valve cover cause low oil pressure? I have 25psi ALL THE TIME (no matter what i am doing) Idling, cruising, WOT - No change - 25psi is all i ever get. No less than 25 either. The gauge is right, because i checked it against another gauge and they both ran at a constant 25psi. Thanks for any advice you guys can send my way.

Sam
But is the sender good? Oil pressure definitely should fluctuate from idle to mid throttle.
Posted via Mobile Device
tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Fel Pro for gaskets.

Those cheap chrome parts rarely seal up no matter what you do. You might try the rubber VC gaskets.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
losthope

X2 On the cheap-o-chrome tin parts ,valve covers,oil pans ect. dont seal worth a crap,they look shiny but function wise suck.....i have some on my truck also

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
smilts60

I agree with captain fab Fel Pro are what I use on everything. Will be lucky to get them to seal even with the rubber gaskets but might work. Like tenni126 mentioned may need to check your sender. Its pretty strait forward as far as swap out.
smilts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I only use Fel-pro original style gaskets. Like Capt. said, the cheap chrome parts are typically hard to get to seal. I had some valve covers that were cheapie chrome and I never got them to stop leaking. Spent a few more dollars (than I originally did on the chrome) and got a set of basic Summit aluminum covers, went back to a cork gasket with a thin RTV film, and they haven't leaked since. Oh, and on your intake set, throw away the little rubber strips that come in the set for the front and rear of the block. Put a heavy bead of RTV on those surfaces with a thicker bit at each seam of block and head. Make sure it is thick enough to be sandwiched between the intake and block, and you should have no oil leaks.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
BillyDeluxe

I am from Germany. I also use Fel pro gaskets. I had a blown head last year because of a poor quality gasket the former owner used. Since I reworked the heads, intake manifold and valve covers with Fel pro everything is leakproof again.
Take care, Andy
BillyDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
chemlab

i've only used the cork ones from engine gasket sets and no probs with chrome. just give a good wipe down on head and vc is all i do. as far as oil psi, 25 isn't unheard of especially with a stock 'low volume' oil pump, i've seen stock ones at 10 before. mine idles around 30 and goes up with rpm.
chemlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Fel-Pro gaskets, I don't use anything else. I was also in the "can't seal cheap chrome VC" club. The set was on my '71 when I got it and they leaked terribly. New gaskets and replaced the chrome set with originals and not a problem since. For your oil pressure, check that sender. The gauge should not just sit at 25 lbs all the time with no variance. You tried a different gauge, but the sender is in need of a check.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
samuellg1977

Thanks all for the advice and info. Well, i wasn't able to check the sender today, since i ran my $!@(#%$#& truck HOT (240+) this morning. She ran hot and I thought the t-stat was stuck, so I said "well, I'll get her home and take a look". I turned into my driveway and heard CLUNK. The alternator bracket bolt broke off in the head and dumped the ALT. So, what i thought to be a stuck thermostat turned out to be the waterpump not turning AT ALL!! I hoep the motor is ok. I am not ready to swap the TPI in yet. Oh well, a trip to the Pull-a-part, 3 hours of drilling and ease-outs, and she's back going again. I intend to check that sender tomorrow (actually, I have replace the temp sender and t-stat) (AGAIN)!! So, i will hit all of it while i am in there. Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Sam
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote