The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
IOWNATRUCK

Acceleration issue?

Hey everyone so i took my truck out today for a drive after it hadnt actually been driven in a few months, as i was pulling up a hill i hit the gas and the car actually hesitated, and then bucked forward and back a little, I dont remember it doing this when i drove it a while back, could it be that since i was very low on gas and angled on a hill that it just couldnt get enough gas? I checked the throttle cable, and all the motor mounts and they seem to be fine. any ideas?
IOWNATRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Acceleration issue?

chevk the fuel filter for a clog other than that im betting low gas

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWNATRUCK View Post
Hey everyone so i took my truck out today for a drive after it hadnt actually been driven in a few months, as i was pulling up a hill i hit the gas and the car actually hesitated, and then bucked forward and back a little, I dont remember it doing this when i drove it a while back, could it be that since i was very low on gas and angled on a hill that it just couldnt get enough gas? I checked the throttle cable, and all the motor mounts and they seem to be fine. any ideas?
Depending on what type carb you have.... but it could be your accelerator pump is bad, not giving you enough fuel in the throttle body upon acceleration... or, your timing could be off, and not advancing the spark enough to keep up with the throttle. Those seemed to be the culprits in my experiences in the past.

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
IOWNATRUCK

Okay, il check it all, do you also think maybe low gas, at an angle going up hill not giving it enough fuel could be the cause? trying to second old rusty c10s thoughts before i get into something more serious when its not needed.
Thanks.
IOWNATRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWNATRUCK View Post
Okay, il check it all, do you also think maybe low gas, at an angle going up hill not giving it enough fuel could be the cause? trying to second old rusty c10s thoughts before i get into something more serious when its not needed.
Thanks.
Yeah, that could very well be the issue as well. Fill the tank up, and try doing the hill thing again... you never know.
Posted via Mobile Device

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
chevk the fuel filter for a clog other than that im betting low gas
replaced my fuel pump,this weekend,quite a bit of rusty gunk came out the line from the pump to the filter before the carb,was surprised can't wait to try it now...
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote