The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
niceandlo

Hey everyone

Hey everyone,

Names Ian.. Just picked up a 79 c10 bonanza. Love pretty much everything about it, except im having a few problems.... First off my gas gauge is "floaty". anything other than full, and it bounces around and wont give an accurate reading.. Then the gauge lights do not work, so at night I have to use my phone to check the speed etc and finally, under full throttle or a quick take off, the truck boggs and sputters..

Any ideas how to fix these.

Also, I want to drop it, exhaust, headers, intake mani and a new carb... Any tips/recommendations etc?

One last thing, the radio was taken out of it, I want to put in a new system, I have my amp, capacitor, and sub, but im wanting to know where can I mount a new headunit and how would I go about putting in the wiring if mine isnt there?

ill get pics tomorrow!
TIA
Ian
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by niceandlo; 11-08-2011 at 01:17 AM.
niceandlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
niceandlo

Re: Hey everyone

here is a pic I shot today with the dirtbikes in the bed

Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Ian, welcome from SoCal. Nice find on a pretty sharp looking square.

As to the gas gauge, I'd troubleshoot the wiring from the gas tank forward. Occaisionally, the wire from the tank to the sending unit gets worn and intermittently shorts out where it rubs up against the frame on the passenger side. That's the easy fix. Had the same problem in my Big 10. Electrical tape works wonders.

Regarding the instrument panel lighting, make sure the bulbs haven't burnt out. The other possible source of the problem may be the headlight switch. Be sure the knob is turned counterclockwise for full instrument illumination. If all else fails, you may have to change out the headlight switch.

Not an engine performance pro, but if the engine bogs down and sputters under acceleration, my first thought is a clogged fuel filter. I'd give the carb a good bath with a spray carb cleaner, too. Since you just acquired your truck, I'd give it a thorough going through by changing fluids, filters, belts, etc. Never know what the prior owner did or didn't do maintenance-wise on your truck.

My sound system is stock, so I can't help you there.

I'm sure the seasoned pros on this Board will chime in with their expertise in regards to your issues. There is no better Board than this one and the members here are more than willing and able to help each other out.

Good luck!
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

beautiful truck and nice dog! welcome aboard

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
83highsierra

As far as putting a radio in it will require u to cut the dash and use the cage that the radio comes with ad the mounting part and itmf theirs no wires at all u will have to run them to each speaker and for tge 12 volt u can tap into a cigarette lighter and use it as your power supply then u will need a constant u can tap into the steering column and use your ignition wire if I remember right on that or another option I'm going with is I'm gonna build a center console and put my radio their and deal with the factory hole later
Hope it helps and if I'm mistaken somewhere someone will correct me nice truck though
Posted via Mobile Device
83highsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
niceandlo

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Im gonna chase the gas gauge today, and the lights in the dash. I kind of want to hide the radio, maybe in the glovebox?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
niceandlo

Ive been looking for replacement parts on certain things, and the big one I need is the heater control face, so I can see my settinga... Any idea where to get them for cheaper than 109
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
john_p

junk yard.. get to know the owners, you will be there often..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
gofastbobby

Nice truck man, I have a 76 short bed that looks very similar to that.

It doesn't look like your dog likes that coat very much.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
lha1992

Hey Ian, welcome to ya from up here in Everett. Nice truck you got there! I saw it on CL a few weeks back and it looked like a nice truck and really good price! Glad a board member got it. Anyways, for parts I would hit up the Lynnwood Pick-n-pull. They usually have 4 or more square-body trucks there. I've been there quite a few times getting parts to rebuild my '89 silverado so you won't have a problem getting parts for that truck.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
niceandlo

Haha, Monkey loves her coat, the truck, not so much, its "loud" according to everyone that hears it, but they are used to stock hondas etc... Was looking around various places, I need a working headlight switch, various knobs and a heater control face. I may be up there this weekend, depending on my schedule.. lha1992, maybe we can meet up?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
niceandlo

So perusing cl and found this... http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/pts/2672710100.html

Worth it or no?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
J Knight

Unless you are going to race your truck, I would say no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceandlo View Post
Haha, Monkey loves her coat, the truck, not so much, its "loud" according to everyone that hears it, but they are used to stock hondas etc... Was looking around various places, I need a working headlight switch, various knobs and a heater control face. I may be up there this weekend, depending on my schedule.. lha1992, maybe we can meet up?
Haha, all my friends up here are use to those import cars an stuff but when some of them pull up to the light an think they can beat me in my old truck they are sure wrong! But i gotta say some of those tuner imports are really nice an fast don't get me wrong so. I mean hey we have trucks they do go slow.

Anyways, yeah why not meet up! Just let me know if you can or not. PM me if I haven't PM'd ya yet.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
niceandlo

Haha before I bought my truck, I had a nice little turbo honda, then she got stolen oh well I much prefer my truck.

But yeah i'll have to pm ya soon, should be makin my way up there this weekend hopefully.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Spla'nin

Hey your dog is wearing my old shirt...I wondered where that went......

I have not been there for years but the Carb connection in Kirkland used to be a good shop...if you cannot getur done...have fun with the new ride!

http://www.carbconn.com/carburetor.php
Spla'nin is offline   Reply With Quote