The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
jaybyrd66

Question floor hump question

hey guys, got a little dilemma here i was hoping yall might be able to help me out with. my 66 2wd has a granny 4 speed trans in it and im not exactly sure what cover it really needs in the floor, small or high hump? i havent a clue lol. but someone in the past has took a cover either out of a 4x4 or maybe even a bigger truck or something and just screwed it to the floor and it doesnt fit right at all. i would really like to get the right one for it. anyone know of some place that repops these or am i just gonna have to search the junk yards in hopes of stumbling across one? any ideas or leads appreciated.

thanks,
Jason
Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: floor hump question

With a truck 4 speed, you need the high hump cover as well as the mating piece that is spot welded to the firewall. Unless of course, your truck originally had a high hump. Then all you need is the cover. All I have left is covers. I sold the last 2 conversions I had last month.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
jaybyrd66

sounds like i may have to do a little more in depth research on this one then, thanks for the reply cap.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here are a few pictures I pulled off the net that should make identification a little easier. A high hump pan is almost square in the center, rises up in front of the seat, and is always removable:

The low hump drops in front of the seat, may be removable or may be a permanent part of the floor. From all the threads I’ve read on this topic, they are not directly interchangeable, however a high hump can be added to a low hump truck if the portion from the high hump donor truck in front of the removable pan is also cut out and welded into the low hump cab.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Ran into the same issue with a 66 Chevrolet Cab I had. The front section is significantly lower and the previous removable humps do not bolt up to nor aline with the contour of the front section of the molded floor.

You need to cut out of an older cab, or find a removable front section of a larger truck or a truck that was equipped with a Hydra-Matic according to a member "paserag."

The section you require is grey in the picture below.
The high hump floor pictured came from a 4X4 with a 4 speed, thus the two openings.

aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Mrphoto

Can someone send a link on where to buy these humps?

I went LMC and only shows floor mats.

I need a metal hump b/c my previous owner must have swapped in this transmission themselves and just built an ugly wooden thing to cover the hole
Mrphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
jaybyrd66

thanks alot aero, those pics cleared everything up for me. mine is the high hump cover but i dont have the piece to go in front of it. guess its time to do a little searching. i know of an old 64 2 ton sitting at a guys house that might be a good donor if it still has it in it. wish me luck lol
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
padresag

[QUOTE=aerotruk63;5055966]Ran into the same issue with a 66 Chevrolet Cab I had. The front section is significantly lower and the previous removable humps do not bolt up to nor aline with the contour of the front section of the molded floor.

You need to cut out of an older cab, or find a removable front section of a larger truck or a truck that was equipped with a Hydra-Matic according to a member "paserag."

you can't even get my name right can you
and it is not according to me. I can't pull out those fancy pictures from books
I will show you a picture of the real thing. from a 62 GMC that had a hydramatic, they don't even have any holes cut in them for that clean look
cheers
ron

By rondavid at 2009-11-22

By rondavid at 2009-11-22

the earlier ones like the one pictured in the GMC above(60-62with hydramatic) were all bolted in the frt section where the rest were spot welded in. maybe in that fancy Chevrolet book that you have you could see if the 60-62 Chev had that piece bolted in. there would be a part nbr
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The C40 and larger trucks have a different trans cover,and also the mating piece at the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybyrd66 View Post
thanks alot aero, those pics cleared everything up for me. mine is the high hump cover but i dont have the piece to go in front of it. guess its time to do a little searching. i know of an old 64 2 ton sitting at a guys house that might be a good donor if it still has it in it. wish me luck lol
Old 12-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The trans covers are not reproduced. You will have to find a good used one. Do you need just the cover, or do you need the piece at the firewall as well? I have a couple covers, but not the piece at the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrphoto View Post
Can someone send a link on where to buy these humps?

I went LMC and only shows floor mats.

I need a metal hump b/c my previous owner must have swapped in this transmission themselves and just built an ugly wooden thing to cover the hole