The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
ivorton74

question about radiators!!

I just got my truck out of the shop again.It is finally running good again so I was feeling really happy. That is until I got out and there was coolant squirting out of my radiator and all over the engine bay. Im beyond pissed. I just spent all my money on it too. So I think I need a new radiator. But I see there are different sizes...how big are the radiators for a 74 350 pickup? Can one from a suburban,k5 blazer or later c10s work on it? The local junkyard has a few for $50 and I want to know what to do.
ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: question about radiators!!

There are quite a few different radiators for c-10s, I would take the old radiator with you and a tapemeasure so if you find one that matches you can compare it to your original. A radiator shop might be able to patch yours for about the same $$.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
bucannon
Salty Sailor

i got an aluminum radiator from a new chevy truck to work in my truck, but yea measure your old one and see what works

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Likely a used radiator will need some repairs before long. You can get a ReadyRad aftermarket copper/brass radiator for about $140 (or less) I think. I sold my original radiator for scrap after removing the steel on it and got $43 for it, so you might be able to get a new aftermarket radiator for about $100 net, or your current radiator might be repairable (but I doubt it.).
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
crazeetxn

Take it to a radiator repair shop. Let them tell you what's wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix. May be cheaper than a used one.

And like it was said before, you may have problems with a used one down the road later so it's either best to get it repaired,recored, or buy a new one all together. I know it sucks cause you just got it out of the shop, but you don't want that to be a reason you have to put it back in.

Just outta curiosity, what did you have it in the shop for? If it wasn't leaking before, wondering if they did something to cause it.
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
ivorton74

i had it in the shop for misfiring. the guy put in a hei distributor,adjusted the timing and adjusted the carb. it runs like a champ now. just need a radiator. i need to get it fixed before monday cuz i need it for work. my car is in the shop now so i need this running.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
crazeetxn

That sucks. A junk yard one will get you by till you can get another in there. Just be cautious about buying something that's been sitting outside for who knows how long. Sometimes they'll pull them if they didn't sustain an front end damage.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
ivorton74

yep it really sucks. i cant really afford a new one right now so a used one is my only option until i can get a new one. the one at the local junkyard is from a 73 c10 and is grade A according to their website. Im goona take the old one out and take it with me to compare. this trucks leaving me broke. if i didnt love this truck so much i would sell it lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
crazeetxn

I know how you feel My wife gets on me every now and then cause I'm always putting money for something or another in the truck or spending more time on the weekends with it than her

Have you been able to isolate the leak? Busted hose maybe? If it's external, I know some JB weld can fix anything. Most auto stores will loan you a radiator pressure tester. Just a couple of pumps and it'll show you where your problem is.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
ivorton74

So this is the verdict. I bought the used one from the junk yard...although those suckers charged me 75 bucks instead of the 50 bucks advertised on their website!! but whatever...I needed it so I got it. Its slightly different than the old one but it works great. The old ones shot. It cant be fixed. My uncle said one of the lines in the middle broke so its toast. The new ones thicker so it'll cool better. Im happy with it so far. No leaks whatsoever.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
crazeetxn

Awesome. Glad everything worked out. Sucks having it break on ya' then spending the weekend trying to get it ready for Monday...